1929 Mercedes-Benz 630K Tourer  Chassis no. 35856 Engine no. 11854 (Type 60889)
Lot 339
1929 Mercedes-Benz 630K Tourer Chassis no. 35856 Engine no. 11854 (Type 60889)
€300,000 - 360,000
US$ 370,000 - 440,000

Lot Details
1929 Mercedes-Benz 630K Tourer  Chassis no. 35856 Engine no. 11854 (Type 60889) 1929 Mercedes-Benz 630K Tourer  Chassis no. 35856 Engine no. 11854 (Type 60889) 1929 Mercedes-Benz 630K Tourer  Chassis no. 35856 Engine no. 11854 (Type 60889) 1929 Mercedes-Benz 630K Tourer  Chassis no. 35856 Engine no. 11854 (Type 60889) 1929 Mercedes-Benz 630K Tourer  Chassis no. 35856 Engine no. 11854 (Type 60889) 1929 Mercedes-Benz 630K Tourer  Chassis no. 35856 Engine no. 11854 (Type 60889) 1929 Mercedes-Benz 630K Tourer  Chassis no. 35856 Engine no. 11854 (Type 60889) 1929 Mercedes-Benz 630K Tourer  Chassis no. 35856 Engine no. 11854 (Type 60889) 1929 Mercedes-Benz 630K Tourer  Chassis no. 35856 Engine no. 11854 (Type 60889) 1929 Mercedes-Benz 630K Tourer  Chassis no. 35856 Engine no. 11854 (Type 60889) 1929 Mercedes-Benz 630K Tourer  Chassis no. 35856 Engine no. 11854 (Type 60889) 1929 Mercedes-Benz 630K Tourer  Chassis no. 35856 Engine no. 11854 (Type 60889)
1929 Mercedes-Benz 630K Tourer
Chassis no. 35856
Engine no. 11854 (Type 60889)
Commande n° 40409

Après la fin de la Grande Guerre, Daimler et Benz relancèrent leur production d'automobiles. Mais les conditions économiques du début des années 1920 étaient extrêmement difficiles : la guerre avait ruiné l'économie allemande et l'inflation devint incontrôlable. Sur 86 usines automobiles allemandes en activité en 1924, il n'en resta que 19 trois ans plus tard. Si les deux grandes rivales voulaient survivre, elles devaient coopérer dans le cadre d'un partenariat. Le 1e juillet 1926, Daimler et Benz achevèrent leur fusion, les deux firmes ayant déjà avancé sur cette voie par le biais d'un accord de coopération technique datant de 1924. À cette date, Paul Daimler, fils du fondateur Gottlieb et ingénieur en chef de la société, était parti chez Horch et son poste fut repris par le Professeur Ferdinand Porsche. Comme son prédécesseur, Porsche était partisan de la suralimentation et, bien qu'il eût quitté Daimler-Benz en 1928, son héritage prit la forme d'une série de Mercedes à compresseur qui ont nourri la légende.

Daimler avait introduit les premières voitures de série à compresseur, les quatre-cylindres 6/25/40 et 10/40/65 au Salon de Berlin 1921. (Les trois nombres indiquent respectivement la puissance nominale taxée, la puissance « atmosphérique » et la puissance avec compresseur engagé). Dès son arrivée au début de 1923, Porsche s'occupa lui-même de la poursuite du développement des voitures de course à quatre et huit cylindres conçues par Paul Daimler ainsi que les modèles de production six cylindres à compresseur 15/70/100 HP et 24/100/140 HP qui devaient débuter au Salon de Berlin 1924. Après la fusion de 1926, elles furent respectivement référencées type 400 et type 630. La même année, la version « K » (Kurz, courte) fut proposée pour la première fois sur un empattement réduit de 376 à 340 cm. Habillée d'une légère carrosserie de tourisme, la magnifique 630 K à compresseur pouvait dépasser 145 km/h.

Cette 630 K fut initialement livrée avec une carrosserie fermée très classique par D'Ieteren Frères à Bruxelles (voir photos dans le dossier) et exportée vers Mercedes Co. à New York (USA) en 1929. En 2000, le réputé carrossier Rod Jolley installa la carrosserie torpédo pour l'actuel propriétaire tout en conservant les ailes et les marchepieds d'origine. Le coût total de ces travaux s'éleva à près de 50 000 livres. La même année, le moteur bénéficia d'une reconstruction par les soins de Heinz Beier de Beier Automobiltechnik à Halle, Westphalie. (La majeure partie de ces travaux mécaniques et de carrosserie a fait l'objet d'un dossier de photos.) Régulièrement utilisée en rallyes et en randonnées, cette élégante et rapide torpédo 630 K se présente en excellent état, accompagnée de copies des archives de l'usine et de ses documents douaniers confirmant le paiement des droits d'entrée en CE en 1999.


Commission no. 40409

At the end of The Great War, both Daimler and Benz went back to producing cars. Trading conditions in the early 1920s though, were extremely difficult: the War had left Germany's economy in ruins and there was rampant inflation. Of the 86 German car factories operating in 1924, only 19 were in existence three years later. If the two great rivals were to survive, it would have to be in partnership. On 1st July 1926, Daimler and Benz completed their merger, the two companies having paved the way with a technical co-operation agreement in 1924. By this time, Paul Daimler, founder Gottlieb's son and the company's Chief Engineer, had moved to Horch, his place being taken by Professor Ferdinand Porsche. Like his predecessor, Porsche was an advocate of forced induction, and although he would leave Daimler-Benz in 1928 his legacy was a range of supercharged Mercedes cars that are the stuff of legend.
Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft had introduced the world's first supercharged production cars, the 6/25/40hp and 10/40/65hp four-cylinder models, at the 1921 Berlin Automobile Show. (The three figures refer to nominal rated horsepower, horsepower un-blown and horsepower with blower engaged respectively). On his arrival early in 1923, Porsche busied himself further developing the blown four-cylinder and eight-cylinder racers, designed by Paul Daimler, together with the 15/70/100hp and 24/100/140hp supercharged, six-cylinder, production models that would debut at the Berlin Automobile Show in 1924. After the 1926 merger these were reclassified as types 400 and 630 respectively. That same year a 'K' (Kurz = Short) version became available for the first time, on a wheelbase reduced from 3,759cm to 3,403.6cm. Fitted with touring coachwork, the magnificent blown 630K was capable of speeds in excess of 90mph (145km/h).
This particular 630K was originally supplied with closed formal coachwork by D'Ieteren Frères of Brussels (see photograph on file) and exported to Mercedes Co, New York, USA in 1929. In 2000 noted coachbuilder Rod Jolley fitted the open tourer body for the current owner while retaining the original wings and running boards, the total cost of these works amounting to circa £50,000. A major engine overhaul was carried out that same year by Heinz Beier of Beier Automobiltechnik in Halle, Westfahlen, the majority of this mechanical work as well as the coachbuilding being photographically documented. Used regularly on rallies and tours, this fast and stylish 630K tourer is presented in good condition and comes with copies of the factory records and EU customs papers confirming payment of duty in 1999.

Auction information

This auction is now finished. If you are interested in consigning in future auctions, please contact the specialist department. If you have queries about lots purchased in this auction, please contact customer services.

Buyers' Obligations

ALL BIDDERS MUST AGREE THAT THEY HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD BONHAMS' CONDITIONS OF SALE AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THEM, AND AGREE TO PAY THE BUYER'S PREMIUM AND ANY OTHER CHARGES MENTIONED IN THE NOTICE TO BIDDERS. THIS AFFECTS THE BIDDERS LEGAL RIGHTS.

If you have any complaints or questions about the Conditions of Sale, please contact your nearest customer services team.

Buyers' Premium and Charges

For all Sales categories excluding Wine, Coins & Medals and Motor Cars and Motorcycles:

Buyer's Premium Rates
25% on the first €50,000 of the Hammer Price
20% from €50,001 to €1,000,000 the Hammer Price
12% on the excess over €1,000,000 of the Hammer Price

TVA at the current rate of 20% will be added to the Buyer's Premium and charges.

Shipping Notices

For information and estimates on domestic and international shipping as well as export licences please contact Bonhams Shipping Department.

Contacts
  1. Philip Kantor
    Specialist - Motor Cars
    Bonhams
    Work
    Boulevard Saint-Michel 101
    Brussels, Belgium 1040
    Work +32 476 879 471
Similar Items