1960 Ferrari  250GT Series II Cabriolet  Chassis no. 1865 GT
Lot 338
1960 Ferrari 250GT Series II Cabriolet Chassis no. 1865 GT
Sold for €381,800 (US$ 484,618) inc. premium

Lot Details
1960 Ferrari  250GT Series II Cabriolet  Chassis no. 1865 GT 1960 Ferrari  250GT Series II Cabriolet  Chassis no. 1865 GT 1960 Ferrari  250GT Series II Cabriolet  Chassis no. 1865 GT 1960 Ferrari  250GT Series II Cabriolet  Chassis no. 1865 GT 1960 Ferrari  250GT Series II Cabriolet  Chassis no. 1865 GT 1960 Ferrari  250GT Series II Cabriolet  Chassis no. 1865 GT 1960 Ferrari  250GT Series II Cabriolet  Chassis no. 1865 GT 1960 Ferrari  250GT Series II Cabriolet  Chassis no. 1865 GT 1960 Ferrari  250GT Series II Cabriolet  Chassis no. 1865 GT 1960 Ferrari  250GT Series II Cabriolet  Chassis no. 1865 GT 1960 Ferrari  250GT Series II Cabriolet  Chassis no. 1865 GT 1960 Ferrari  250GT Series II Cabriolet  Chassis no. 1865 GT 1960 Ferrari  250GT Series II Cabriolet  Chassis no. 1865 GT 1960 Ferrari  250GT Series II Cabriolet  Chassis no. 1865 GT 1960 Ferrari  250GT Series II Cabriolet  Chassis no. 1865 GT 1960 Ferrari  250GT Series II Cabriolet  Chassis no. 1865 GT 1960 Ferrari  250GT Series II Cabriolet  Chassis no. 1865 GT
1960 Ferrari 250GT Series II Cabriolet
Coachwork by Pininfarina

Chassis no. 1865 GT
Au début des années 1960, la production de voitures de route qui avait cessé d'être marginale chez Ferrari était désormais considérée comme vitale pour garantir l'avenir de la firme. C'est pourquoi la 250, première Ferrari produite en série, peut être vue comme un modèle d'importance critique même si le volume de la première de la lignée – la 250 Europa de 1953-1954 – n'a pas dépassé les vingt exemplaires. L'Europa fut remplacée par la 250 GT en 1954, celle-ci se distinguant par un moteur V12 trois litres Colombo plus léger et plus petit que le bloc Lampredi plus encombrant de sa devancière. La puissance de ce moteur en aluminium à 1 ACT par banc était de 220 cv à 7 000 tr/min. Plus court de 200 mm sur empattement que celui de l'Europa, le châssis 250 GT respectait la technologie usuelle de Ferrari avec des longerons principaux en tubes ovales complétés par un treillis tubulaire, mais la suspension avant indépendante utilisait dorénavant des ressorts hélicoïdaux à la place du ressort à lames transversal. Une boîte de vitesses à quatre rapports entièrement synchronisée transmettait le couple à un pont arrière rigide oscillant et le freinage était confié à quatre tambours hydrauliques. Les quatre freins à disque arrivèrent à la fin de 1959, suivis l'année d'après par une boîte à quatre rapports plus un surmultiplicateur.

Plusieurs carrossiers proposèrent divers styles de caisse sur le châssis 250 GT, Scaglietti et Pininfarina produisant d'élégants spyders et cabriolets. Exposé au Salon de Genève 1957, le premier cabriolet 250 GT de ce dernier fut aussitôt retenu par le pilote officiel Peter Collins qui fit installer plus tard des freins à disques. Après quelques autres versions différant les unes des autres, la production en série commença en juillet 1957. Environ 40 Cabriolets Pininfarina Série I furent produits avant l'introduction de la Série II en 1959.

Version décapotable du Coupé 250 GT construit par Pininfarina dont il partageait le châssis et la mécanique, le Cabriolet Série II fut fabriqué parallèlement à son cousin fermé jusqu'en 1962. Le dessin d'ensemble reprenait celui du Coupé avec un nez court et un arrière long en porte-à-faux, tandis qu'un pare-brise plus vertical améliorait la garde au toit dans un habitacle généreusement dimensionné. Outre les améliorations déjà mentionnées apportées aux freins et à la transmission, les voitures de la Série II bénéficiaient du plus récent V12 de 240 cv avec bougies à l'extérieur du V, ressort de soupapes hélicoïdaux. La 250 GT fut la Ferrari la plus vendue en son temps, la production dépassant 900 unités dont 201 Cabriolets Série II.

La 29e de ces 201 voitures, châssis n° 1865 GT, achevée au cours du printemps 1960, fut vendue neuve à l'été de la même année au représentant de Ferrari en Californie (USA) qui revendit la voiture à son premier propriétaire, David Garroway, résident à New York City. Dans les années 1970, un moteur légèrement plus récent, mais du type correct fut installé alors que la voiture était encore aux Etats-Unis.

Au début des années 1990, « 1865 GT » bénéficia d'une restauration alors qu'elle appartenait à Irwin H. Parnes d'Atlanta, Géorgie, qui la vendit quelque temps après. Proposée à la vente à Vancouver, au Canada, en septembre 1995, la voiture devint la propriété de Larry Smith à Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, puis de Otto Hahne de Factory Executive Motor Cars à Pontiac, Michigan. En 1998, « 1865 GT » fut restaurée par RM Auto Restorations au Canada et, au printemps 2000, vendue à Tony Lancia résidant à Brampton, Ontario, au Canada. Son propriétaire suivant connu fut Steve Tillack de Redondo Beach, Californie, qui l'acheta en 2004. Magnifique Ferrari décapotable, absolument classique, « 1865 GT » est aux mains de l'actuel collectionneur particulier depuis août 2009.

By the early 1960s, road car production had ceased to be a sideline for Ferrari and was seen as vitally important to the company's future stability. Thus the 250, Ferrari's first volume-produced model, can be seen as of critical importance, though production of the first of the line - the 250 Europa, built from 1953 to '54 - amounted to fewer than twenty. The Europa was superseded by the 250GT in 1954, the latter featuring a lighter and more-compact Colombo-designed 3-litre V12 in place of its predecessor's bulkier Lampredi unit. Power output of the single-overhead-camshaft all-aluminium engine was 220bhp at 7,000rpm. Shorter in the wheelbase (by 200mm) than that of the Europa, the 250GT chassis followed Ferrari's established practice, being a multi-tubular frame tied together by oval main tubes, though the independent front suspension now employed coil springs instead of the previous transverse leaf type. A four-speed, all-synchromesh gearbox transmitted power to the live rear axle, while hydraulic drums all round looked after braking. Four-wheel disc brakes arrived late in 1959 and a four-speeds-plus-overdrive gearbox the following year.
A number of coachbuilders offered a variety of body styles on the 250GT chassis, with Scaglietti and Pininfarina producing elegant open-top spyder and cabriolet models. Exhibited at the 1957 Geneva Salon, the latter's first 250GT Cabriolet was snapped up by Ferrari works driver Peter Collins, who later had the car converted to disc brakes. After a handful of alternative versions had been built, series production began in July 1957, around 40 Series I Pininfarina Cabriolets being completed before the introduction of the Series II in 1959.
Effectively an open-top version of the Pininfarina-built 250GT Coupé, whose chassis and mechanics it shared, the Series II Cabriolet was built alongside its closed cousin until 1962. Overall design followed that of the Coupé, with short nose and long rear overhang, while a more-vertical windscreen provided greater headroom in the generously sized cockpit. As well as the aforementioned improvements to brakes and transmission, the Series II cars benefited from the latest, 240bhp V12 with outside sparkplugs, coil valve springs and twelve-port cylinder heads. The 250GT was the most successful Ferrari of its time, production of all types exceeding 900 units, of which 201 were Series II Cabriolets.
The 29th of the 201 built, chassis number '1865 GT' was completed during the spring of 1960 and in the summer of that same year was sold new to Ferrari Representatives in California, USA, who in turn sold the car to its first owner, David Garroway, a resident of New York City. During the 1970s a slightly later engine of the correct type was installed while the car was still in the USA.
By the early 1990s '1865 GT' was undergoing restoration in the ownership of Irwin H Parnes, of Atlanta, Georgia and was sold by him some time later. Offered for sale in Vancouver, Canada in September 1995, the car was next owned by Larry Smith in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan and then by Otto Hahne, of Factory Executive Motor Cars, Pontiac, Michigan. In 1998 '1865 GT' was restored by RM Auto Restorations in Canada and in the spring of 2000 was sold to Tony Lancia, a resident of Brampton, Ontario, Canada. Its next recorded owner was Steve Tillack, of Redondo Beach, California, who acquired the car in 2004. A wonderful, classic, open Ferrari, '1865 GT' has been in the current vendor's possession since August 2009.
Auction information

This auction is now finished. If you are interested in consigning in future auctions, please contact the specialist department. If you have queries about lots purchased in this auction, please contact customer services.

Buyers' Obligations

ALL BIDDERS MUST AGREE THAT THEY HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD BONHAMS' CONDITIONS OF SALE AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THEM, AND AGREE TO PAY THE BUYER'S PREMIUM AND ANY OTHER CHARGES MENTIONED IN THE NOTICE TO BIDDERS. THIS AFFECTS THE BIDDERS LEGAL RIGHTS.

If you have any complaints or questions about the Conditions of Sale, please contact your nearest customer services team.

Buyers' Premium and Charges

For all Sales categories excluding Wine, Coins & Medals and Motor Cars and Motorcycles:

Buyer's Premium Rates
25% on the first €50,000 of the Hammer Price
20% from €50,001 to €1,000,000 the Hammer Price
12% on the excess over €1,000,000 of the Hammer Price

TVA at the current rate of 20% will be added to the Buyer's Premium and charges.

Shipping Notices

For information and estimates on domestic and international shipping as well as export licences please contact Bonhams Shipping Department.

Contacts
  1. Philip Kantor
    Specialist - Motor Cars
    Bonhams
    Work
    Boulevard Saint-Michel 101
    Brussels, Belgium 1040
    Work +32 476 879 471
Similar Items