A fine late 18th/early 19th century Roman micromosaic panel of Pliny's Doves,
the rectangular panel with a depiction of two pairs of doves drinking from a golden bowl, in a gilt metal frame decorated with stiff leaves, length 7.2cm.
This scene is taken from the famous mosaic kept in the Capitoline Museum. It was found by Cardinal Giuseppe Furietti (24 January 1685 14 January 1764) in 1737 during excavations at Hadrian's Villa, Furietti believed it to be the masterpiece by Sosus mentioned by Pliny the Elder (Pliny's Natural History XXXVI,.25). He used the image as the first plate in his book on mosaics, De Musivis (Rome, 1752), with six engraved plates, four of them folding, which became a classic on the subject. After Furietti's death, his heirs sold two centaurs and the mosaic for 14,000 scudi to the Museo Clementino.