The barque Walter Morrice calling for a pilot off Point Lynas bears signature 'S. Walters' (lower right) oil on canvas 61 x 91.4cm (24 x 36in).
PROVENANCE: with Colin Denny c1971 Purchased from the above by the present owner
The barque Walter Morrice was built at Sunderland in 1847, measured 126 feet in length with a 31 foot beam and was registered at 666 tons gross (552 net). Originally owned by Halkett & Co. of London and intended for the Australian trade, she began her career running out to Sydney under Captain D. Morrice. Following the discovery of gold in California in 1849, she transferred into the American Pacific Coast trade to take advantage of the 'gold rush' and thereafter sailed regularly to San Francisco for several years before reverting to her former Australian run in 1853. In 1856 she was purchased by her master Captain Morrice who put her into the Indian trade where she remained until disappearing from record in the early 1870s.
This work was almost certainly commissioned to mark the completion and maiden voyage of the Walter Morrice.
We are grateful to Dr. Sam Davidson for his assistance in cataloguing this lot.