Buckinghamshire house at Penstreet signed 'H.Allingham' (lower right) watercolour 36 x 50.5cm (14 3/16 x 19 7/8in).
PROVENANCE: with M. Newman Ltd, 1967 Sir Owen Aisher The Marley Collection of Helen Allingham watercolours, Christie's London, September 19, 1991, lot 40 Sale, Bonhams London, 9th March 2004 lot 87
EXHIBITED: Cottages of Yester-year, 1988-90, no. 40. Guildford House, 9-30th July 1988 and 6-17th January 1989 City of London International Art Fair, The Barbican, 22-27th November 1988 Royal Institute of British Architects, London 16-27th October 1989 Birmingham Museums and Art Gallery, 24-29th April 1990
LITERATURE: Annabel Watts, Helen Allingham's Cottage Homes Revisited, Craddocks Printing Works Ltd., Surrey 2002, p.18 Andrew Clayton-Payne, Victorian Cottages, Weidenfeld & Nicholson, 1993 p 123
For many years, part of this building was occupied by George and Catherine Randall and their daughter Annie. George was a blacksmith and it was there he had his forge. In the early years of the 20th century the house caught fire causing considerable damage, but it was rebuilt and still stands today.
This watercolour was one of 55, by Helen Allingham RWS, acquired by Sir Owen Aisher from 1947 until 1970. Each painting in the collection featured a cottage or a farmhouse as Sir Owen, Chairman of Marley Ltd, was particularly interested in the building materials so faithfully reproduced by the artist.
Allingham completed no more than half a dozen Buckinghamshire subjects and they date from circa 1900.
We are grateful to Annabel Watts for her assistance in cataloguing this lot.