The Steam Yacht Sybil under steam in the Bay of Naples with Vesuvius beyond signed 'De Simone' and dated 1906 (lower right), inscribed (lower left) gouache 45.7 x 66cm (18 x 26in). unframed
The iron screw schooner Sybil was originally named Palatine when she was launched in 1870. Designed and built by Robert Steele & Co. on the Clyde at Greenock, she was registered at 305 tons gross (193 net & 450 Thames) and measured 159 feet in length with a 25 foot beam. Handsomely rigged as a three-masted topsail schooner, she was equipped with a 70hp. 2-cylinder engine from the Greenock Foundry and was first owned by the 2nd Earl of Wilton. Sold to the 2nd Lord Wolverton in 1882, she was then sold again in 1887 to Mrs. Blanche Watney who kept her until 1906 when she was purchased by Havelock J. Collins of The Gables, Berkhamstead, Hertfordshire, who renamed her Sybil. By 1909 she had been acquired by the Parisian Comte de Sobanski and renamed Triomphante and, by 1914, she had changed hands again, this time to L. Lazzaro of Genoa who rechristened her Caffa. Disappearing from record thereafter, she is presumed to have been a casualty of the Great War.