A charger from the Arabian series signed with artist's monogram (on the reverse) enamelled glass with gilding Vienna, circa 1878 diameter: 44.45cm (17.5in).
Founded in Vienna in 1822 by Josef Lobmeyr, a glazier from Grieskirchen near Linz, J. & L. Lobmeyr (named for Josef's sons Josef and Ludwig) was amongst a group of select glassmakers who showed a strong interest in Islamic design and calligraphy much like Galle and Brocard. It was under Ludwig's direction that the company turned its attention to enamel painting and Islamic style ornamentation. This series is known as the Arabian series designed by the architects Johann Machytka and Franz Schmoranz circa 1878 and is further detailed by the bands of gold naskh or calligraphy around the rim.