A Popper 'Iduna' Orchestrion,
Circa 1912, Model 13, with illuminated pictorial automaton,
348 stamped on the frame shelf
With a total of 159 pipes, twenty-seven of each for violins, clarinets, flutes and piccolos, twelve for cellos (being a bass extension of the violin rank), and thirty-nine gambas, the piano with mandolin attachment and twenty-seven note xylophone accompanied by fifteen orchestra bells, bass drum with tympani effect, snare drum, cymbal and triangle and a solo capacity to bells, xylophone and pipes, in Jugendstil cabinet with slender arched central pediment with lowered shaped cornice, wide squared segmented brass bar fret straddling twin bar frets and waved poker-work detail, flanked by platform boss finials above subtle incised decoration, the central long and short bevelled mirror-glass pane door with elegant shepherd's-crook sparred and shaped balustrade, the animated side panels each with splendid painted detail on velum-to-glass, the left with a windmill before mountains, hill path leading to watermill in the foreground, the right panel with large rocky surmounted waterfall with arched bridge, the tree-lined mountains behind with further fall and a small country dwelling, opening to reveal the pipe and accompaniment chamber, above central 'Iduna' title frosted glazed door, compliment sectional mirror-glass doors to the sides, finished by a pair of patinated bronzed metal figurine electroliers of maiden warriors, each holding naturalistic branches terminating with period-style carbon-filament hoop bulbs, motor and bellow chamber below, behind the double doors with repeated brass fret bar detail along three planes, electrolier supports of tapering square form, sides with inset fielded removable panels, on slight plinth base, on wheels.
With 40 rolls.
10' high 6' wide 4' deep