1921 Evans Power Cycle
Frame no. C-1564
Engine no. 32073
"Handy as a bicycle, efficient as a motorcycle," the Evans Power-Cycle was manufactured between 1918 and 1924 by the Cyclemotor Corporation of Rochester, New York, which had been producing a self-contained power pack for attachment to a pedal cycle since 1916. A 5.5ci (90cc) single-cylinder two-stroke with outside flywheel, this same engine was used for the Power-Cycle, driving the rear wheel by means of a rawhide belt. Cyclemotor's advertising made much of the two-stroke's simplicity and the fact that the lightweight Power-Cycle (it weighed only 70 pounds) could be carried into the owner's home at night. Cheap to buy and run, the Power-Cycle cost only $100 dollars and was claimed to cover up to 150 miles on a gallon of gas, while its top speed was around 30mph. For 1921 an improved version was introduced that featured direct electric lighting, powered by the magneto.
This unregistered Power-Cycle was acquired by the current vendor in the 1980s and restored in 2003 by Vic Olsen, of Putney, Vermont. All parts were refurbished or replaced (invoices available) and the machine has covered zero miles since restoration. Presented in commensurately good condition, it was an AACA 1st place Junior Award winner in 2003 and a 1st place Senior Award winner in 2004, taking an AACA National Award that same year. Sold on a Bill of Sale.