(n/a) Antonio Nicolo Gasparo Jacobsen (American, 1850-1921), 1888
The North German Lloyd passenger ship S.S. Lahn signed lower right: "A. Jacobsen 1888" oil on canvas 22 x 36 in. (56 x 91.5 cm.)
The S.S. Lahn was built by the Fairfield Co. Ltd, Glasgow in 1887 for Norddeutscher Lloyd (North German Lloyd] shipping line of Bremen. She was a 5,099 gross ton ship, length 448.4 ft x beam 49ft, two funnels, four masts, single screw and a speed of 18 knots. There was accommodation for 224 1st, 106 2nd and 700-3rd class passengers. Launched on 9 September 1887, and she sailed from Bremen on her maiden voyage to Southampton and New York on 1 February 1888. In 1896, her masts were reduced to two and on 1 October 1901 she sailed her last Bremen - Southampton - New York voyage. She was transferred to the Genoa - Naples - New York service on 13 November 1901 and commenced her last voyage on this route on 4 February 1904. Later the same year, she was sold to the Russian navy and renamed RUSS. She was scrapped in 1927.
LITERATURE: Harold S. Sniffen, Antonio Jacobsen - The Checklist, Smith Gallery - New York, 1984, pg 178, #22.