An Egyptian Pharaoh's head mascot from the original Ingrid series of glassware, circa 1935,
etched to the base 'made in Czechoslovakia', mounted on a black glass base and in excellent original condition.
The original Red Ashay mascots were made for H.G. Ascher Ltd. of Manchester and London by the Reidel Glass Works in Czechoslovakia. H.G. Ascher first marketed these mascots as Red Ashay in 1930, ceasing production during the War and resuming soon after the hostilities had come to an end. However a combination of factors, including the fact that glass factories in the now Czech Republic were nationalized and Britain's post-war austerity meant that sales had begun to slow and stock supplies were un-reliable. The mascots were eventually taken off the market when in 1952, H.G. Ascher Ltd. closed.
Hoffman Glass, run by Heinrich Hoffman and Curt Schlevogt (who became Hoffman's son-in-law, marrying his daughter Ingrid in 1928) produced the ornaments sold in England under the name Red Ashay, this series was known as the 'Ingrid Series' when sold in Czechoslovakia. The partners Hoffman and Schlevogt used local companies to produce moulds and patterns for their designs which they then polished and finished for sale.
One of the main suppliers, 'Reidel Glass' was a well established family run glass company. Established in 1850 they specialised in ornamental and coloured glass, Hoffman represented a small percentage of their production. Situated north of Prague in an area well-known for the production and sale of such ornamental glassware, their work continued until the outbreak of World War 1.