c.1935 DKW SB350
Frame no. 276938
Engine no. 476938
DKW was founded in Zschopau in 1919 by Danish engineer Jorgen Rasmussen and built its first motorcycle power unit, a single-cylinder, clip-on engine for bicycle attachment, in 1921. Designed by Hugo Ruppe, this 122cc motor was a two-stroke, and DKW would remain faithful to this engine type from then on, becoming world leaders in two-stroke design in the 1930s thanks to the prescient adoption of the Schnuerle loop-scavenge system. The latter used flat-topped pistons rather than the then-conventional deflector-crown type, relying on carefully angled transfer ports to direct the incoming charge around the cylinder. DKW was Continental Europe's largest motorcycle maker at this time, manufacturing a huge and diverse range of road bikes during the 1930s. The machine offered here is an example of the SB350, which was manufactured from 1934 to 1937, some 12,000-or-so being made. Its 76x76mm bore/stroke, 345cc single-cylinder engine produced 11PS, giving the model a top speed of 110km/h (68mph). First registered in Spain in 1957, the DKW formerly belonged to, and was restored by, Jesus Facundo in Zaragoza, from whom it was acquired for the Collection in 2005. The machine is offered with sundry invoices/paperwork and Spanish registration papers.
- The frame number for this lot should read 276988.
The engine number for this lot should read 476938.