c.1926 Terrot 247cc Type FT Tourisme
Frame no. 33561
Engine no. to be advised
Like many of his cycle industry contemporaries, Charles Terrot turned to powered transport towards the end of the 19th Century and by the early 1900s his Dijon factory was making not only bicycles but also motorcycles, quadricycles and voiturettes. The name 'motocyclette' had already been registered by another company, so Terrot called his first motorcycles 'motorettes'. Proprietary engines supplied by Givaudin, Dufaux and Zédel were used for Terrot's early motorettes before the firm went on to develop its own. Previously a user of British-built JAP engines, Terrot began producing its own power units in the mid-1920s and by the decade's end had become France's largest manufacturer of motorcycles. In 1925 the firm introduced the Type F, a lightweight model powered by a 67x70mm bore/stroke 247cc single-cylinder two-stroke engine rated at 3CV for taxation purposes. The Type F was initially offered in two versions: the two-speed, belt-driven Tourisme and the slightly heavier and more expensive Sport-luxe, which came with a three-speed gearbox and all-chain drive. Developments of the Type F continued to be offered well into the 1930s. This Type FT Tourisme was purchased six years ago and has been restored by Vicente Sevilla, the vendor's father-in-law.