c.1928 FN 348cc M70
Frame no. 45152
Engine no. 13321
Like BSA, La Fabrique Nationale d'Armes de Guerre began as a munitions manufacturer, turning to the production of motorcycles in 1900. Best known for its sensational four-cylinder models, the Belgian company demonstrated the same innovative spirit in the design of its singles, being among the first to adopt unitary construction of the engine and gearbox, permitting the use of gear primary drive. These were features of the sidevalve M70 tourer, the 1927 launch of which was publicised by three factory-supported machines undertaking a daring 5,000-mile trip from the Belgian city of Liège to North Africa and back, taking in a crossing of the Sahara desert on the way. A saddle tank, lengthened wheelbase, enclosed valves and a revised exhaust system were among improvements made to the M70 for 1929, and the model continuing in production until superseded by the M71 in 1936.
This Vintage-era M70 was purchased in Zaragoza, Spain around four years ago and has been restored by the vendor's father-in-law, Vicente Sevilla.