1927 Terrot 347cc Type HT Tourisme
Frame no. 77488
Engine no. 61116S
Like many of his cycle industry contemporaries, Charles Terrot turned to powered transport towards the end of the 19th Century and by the early 1900s his Dijon factory was making not only bicycles but also motorcycles, quadricycles and voiturettes. The name 'motocyclette' had already been registered by another company, so Terrot called his first offerings 'motorettes'. Proprietary engines supplied by Givaudin, Dufaux and Zédel were used for Terrot's early motorettes before the firm went on to develop its own.
Previously a user of British-built JAP engines, Terrot began producing its own power units in the mid-1920s and by the decade's end had become France's largest manufacturer of motorcycles. At the Paris Salon in the autumn of 1925, the firm introduced the 347cc Model H, which replaced the Model G and was rated at 4CV for taxation purposes. The first examples were still equipped with JAP engines and Terrot's old-fashioned, horizontal-spring forks but by the end of the year a more modern version had appeared, featuring Terrot's own sidevalve engine, Druid forks and Pilgrim oil pump. Tourisme, Sport, and overhead-valve Supersport versions were offered, all of which were also available in 'Confort' (luxury) form at extra cost.
Terrot continued to offer a diverse range of machines in all sizes throughout the 1930s, garnering many competitions successes along the way, but after WW2 concentrated mainly on lightweights. The firm was taken over by erstwhile rivals Peugeot in 1961 and the once-famous name disappeared soon after.
Restored at date unknown, this Terrot HT was purchased at a fair in the South of France and is offered with French registration papers dating from 1986.