1928 AJS 248cc Model K12
Frame no. K12 22261
Engine no. K12 22261
Originally manufacturers of proprietary engines, A J Stevens Ltd, of Wolverhampton, introduced its first complete motorcycle in 1911. The first AJS was a single-cylinder sidevalve-engined lightweight displacing 292cc that came in two versions, one with direct belt drive (Model A), the other (Model B) having a two-speed countershaft gearbox, an advantage enjoyed by few contemporary rivals. The company first entered the Isle of Man TT in 1911, making an historic breakthrough in 1914 when it won the Junior event, the first such victory by a single-cylinder machine. From then onwards, the 2¾hp (350cc) sidevalve-engined model remained a fixture of the AJS range. Capitalising on its success, for 1928 the firm introduced a sidevalve '250' built along similar lines: the K12, 'K' being the letter code for 1928. Weighing 191lbs, the K12 qualified for reduced toad tax and cost £39 17s 6d. It continued for 1929 as the M12 but was missing from the 1930 line-up, its place being taken an all-new overhead-valve '250' - the R12 - and thus is one of the rarer Vintage-era AJS models. This particular K12 was purchased at a Barcelona 'garage sale' in 2007. The machine carries a previous owner's plaque and Spanish tax disc dating from 1957.
- The frame number for this lot should read K12 2261.
The engine number for this lot should read K12 2261.