c.1942 Triumph 343cc 3HW
Frame no. TL 45673
Engine no. 56762
Edward Turner's arrival at Triumph in 1936 resulted in extensive improvements to the range. A brilliant stylist, Turner transformed the Val Page-designed overhead-valve singles by adopting sports-specification engines, high level exhausts, chromed fuel tanks, silver sheen paint and a new name: 'Tiger'. Frames, forks, engines and gearboxes were all improved for 1937, and a trio of randomly selected Tigers successfully completed a series of arduous speed trails to secure the Maudes Trophy for Triumph later in the year. When war broke out in September 1939, Triumph's entire stock of completed civilian machines was requisitioned by the War Office. The Coventry firm went on to develop a 350cc twin-cylinder model the 3TW specifically for military use, only for the destruction of its factory in an air raid in November 1940 to scupper the project. Installed in new premises at Meriden, Warwickshire, Triumph recommenced production of the single-cylinder sidevalve 3SW and overhead-valve 3HW models. The latter was based on the pre-war Tiger 80 sports roadster, the engine of which was modified to incorporate rocker boxes cast integrally with the cast-iron cylinder head, aluminium alloy being in short supply. Triumph's single-cylinder models were used mainly by the Royal Navy for despatch duties and general liaison, with the less-powerful 3SW reserved for the WRNS. Restored in the livery of the pre-war Tiger 80, this particular 3HW was purchased at Mannheim, Germany in 2006, having previously belonged to a Mr Roes of Arnhem, Holland, and is offered with Netherlands registration papers. A '140km/h' speedometer is the only notified deviation from factory specification.
- The frame number for this lot should read 46673.
The engine number for this lot should read 56762.