1932 Norton 490cc Model 16H
Frame no. 45542
Engine no. 5459
Having hitherto relied on proprietary engines, Norton introduced the first power unit of its own manufacture in 1907. Designed by James Lansdowne Norton himself, the long-stroke sidevalve single displaced 633cc, and the new model it powered became known as the 'Big 4'. Smaller capacity versions followed and in 1911 the '500' adopted the classic 79x100mm bore and stroke dimensions which would characterise the half-litre (actually 490cc) Norton for the next 50 years. The 490cc engine was revised for 1914 and in 1921 the Model 16, as it had become known, received a new lower frame, becoming the 16H. Norton's trusty sidevalve would be continuously up-dated for the next 30-plus years, many seeing service with Allied forces in WW2, before taking its final bow, together with the Big 4, in 1954. In 1931, the Norton engine arrived at its final incarnation, with dry sump lubrication and magneto repositioned behind the cylinder. This particular 16H dates from 1932 and has the right-hand side exhaust system and full width hubs newly introduced for that year. The machine had already been restored at the time of its purchase from a motorcycle restorer in Zaragoza.
- The frame number for this lot should read 45542.
The engine number for this lot should read 5456.