1923 Triumph 550cc SD
Registration no. KK 3001
Engine no. 98171
The first Triumph motorcycle of 1902 used a Belgian Minerva engine but within a few years the Coventry firm - originally bicycle manufacturers - was building its own power units. By the outbreak of the Great War the marque's reputation for quality and reliability was well established, leading to substantial orders from the military. Triumph's 3½hp model first appeared in 1907. Originally of 453cc, its sidevalve engine was enlarged to 476cc in 1908, and finally to 499cc in 1910 before being superseded by the 4hp model in 1914. Equipped with three-speed Sturmey-Archer gearbox, it was Triumph's revised 4hp - the Model H - that did such sterling service in The Great War, some 30,000 'Trusty Triumphs' seeing action with Allied forces. Updated with chain final drive for 1920, it became known as the 'SD' (Spring Drive) because of its clutch-mounted, coil-spring shock absorber, and formed the basis of the later four-valve Ricardo model. The very first motorcycle acquired for the Collection around 8-9 years ago, this 'SD' comes with an old UK continuation logbook (issued 1976) and a quantity of expired MoTs, the most recent dating from 1994. An older restoration, the machine features Lucas 'King of the Road' acetylene headlamp and generator, 'Gloriaphone' horn and Halfords rear lamp.
- The frame number for this lot should read 895ovs.
The engine number for this lot should read 98171.