BSA Ladies Model,
Lot 23
c.1928 BSA 174cc Model A28 Frame no. E452 Engine no. 427
Sold for £2,070 (US$ 3,479) inc. premium
Lot Details
c.1928 BSA 174cc Model A28
Frame no. E452
Engine no. 427
The Birmingham Small Arms Company fist experimented with powered two-wheelers in the latter years of the 19th Century and then again in 1905. These first motorcycles made by BSA used proprietary engines such as the Belgian Minerva, and it was not until 1910 that the firm introduced a BSA designed and built machine. The first series-production model to feature the marque's distinctive green and cream tank colours was a 499cc (3½hp) side-valve single. Well engineered and equally well made, this first BSA proved an enormous success and effectively established the company's reputation as a maker of high quality motorcycles. Introduced for the 1928 season, the A28 was BSA's first production two-stroke. In terms of its specification, the little BSA was a cut above the (predominantly) Villiers-engined opposition, boasting unitary construction of the engine/two-speed transmission, a dry clutch and primary drive by gears. The engine/gearbox unit was carried in a bolted-up duplex frame and there were two brakes, both of which operated on the rear wheel. Priced at £28 10s, the A28 comfortably undercut BSA's cheapest four-stroke model, the 249cc B28 De Luxe, which cost a comparatively hefty £37 15s. This A28 was purchased in Barcelona and is offered in part-restored condition. It should be noted that various parts are missing, including the magneto, handlebar grips and control cables.
Activities