Alcyon,
Lot 14
c.1914 Alcyon V-Twin Frame no. 201791 Engine no. 4167
Sold for £11,500 (US$ 19,309) inc. premium
Lot Details
c.1914 Alcyon V-Twin
Frame no. 201791
Engine no. 4167
Originally a bicycle manufacturer, Edmond Gentil set up shop in Neuilly, Seine around 1890, adding motorcycle production to his activities in 1902 and that of motor cars in 1906. Gentil's products were marketed under the 'Alcyon' name, meaning kingfisher. Various sizes of automobile were produced prior to WWI, after which the firm concentrated on cyclecars until 1928 when it returned exclusively to the manufacture of bicycles and motorcycles. Over the years Alcyon acquired a number of other smaller French manufacturers including Armor, Thomann, Labor, La Française and Olympique, marketing its models under their various brand names. Proprietary engine manufacturer Zürcher is another firm closely linked to Alcyon. The first Alcyon motorcycles of 1904 used engines supplied by the Swiss company Zürcher & Lüthi (Zédel) and the latter's French subsidiary, based at Ferrière sur Jougne, would be acquired by Alcyon in 1906. The Swiss plant closed the following year. V-twins powered by Zürcher engines were manufactured from 1914 to 1922 and a wide range of models was offered between the wars. After 1945 Alcyon concentrated on selling lightweights powered by AMC, Vap and Zurcher engines among others. Alcyon also sponsored a successful professional cycling team, winning many of the top European classics as well as the Tour de France six times. This seemingly highly original Alcyon v-twin was purchased in Mannheim, Germany in 2008.
Activities