c.1914 Vindec 225cc Lightweight
Engine no. 4705
'Vindec' was a brand name used by the London-based motorcycle industry component suppliers, Brown Brothers, which had offices in Great Eastern Street. The firm had sold its first complete motorcycle in 1902 under its own name, and Minerva- and (later) Precision-powered Brown models were offered up to 1915, latterly alongside the Vindec. Introduced late in 1914, the first Vindec was a 225cc two-stroke lightweight equipped with a two-speed gearbox and belt final drive. Four-stroke, v-twin-engined Vindec models were offered also prior to The Great War and continued together with the little two-stroke after its end. The stroker lasted only until 1922, when it was replaced for the following season by a JAP-powered 292cc sidevalve. A limited range of proprietary-engined models continued to be offered until 1929, the final year of the Vindec. This restored Vindec 'stroker' was purchased in 2008 from a jointly owned private collection in Spain.