Zundapp (among restoration projects on ground floor)
Lot 108
1934 CZ 175cc Lightweight (see text) Engine no. 103546
Sold for £1,035 (US$ 1,731) inc. premium
Lot Details
1934 CZ 175cc Lightweight (see text)
Engine no. 103546
At time of cataloguing it had not been possible positively to identify this machine, which is believed to be an early CZ. Founded in Strakonice, Czechoslovakia in September 1919 as an armaments manufacturer, Česká Zbrojovka (CZ) diversified into motorcycle making in the early 1930s and merged with erstwhile rivals Jawa in 1949. Initially very successful, CZ faced a downturn in demand for its products in the late 1920s, diversifying first into bicycle manufacture and then motorcycles a couple of years later. A single-cylinder two-stroke, the machine offered here is unusual in that its engine is mounted in the frame with the crankshaft inline (rather than transversely). This would make perfect sense if it was shaft driven yet final drive is via chain, which involves turning the drive through 90 degrees via a skew gear of some kind. Presumably, the added complication and slight power loss involved was set against the advantage that this arrangement conferred in terms of oil tightness, there being no leak-prone primary drive casing. Consisting of a pressed steel frame and blade-type girder fork, the cycle parts are typical of many European makes of the 1930s. The machine was discovered in its present condition and is offered for restoration.

Footnotes

  • Please note revised description below;

    c.1938 Puch 198cc Lightweight

    Engine no. 103546

    This machine is a 198cc Puch motorcycle dating from circa 1938 and not as stated in the catalogue.

    The motorcycle part of the Austrian Steyr-Daimler-Puch combine, Puch introduced its first motorcycle in the early 1900s, amalgamated with Daimler in 1928 and then Steyr in 1934. Puch also built cars, commercial vehicles and railway locomotives in its early years but these days the firm is best remembered for its pioneering doppelkolben (twin-piston) 'split-single' two-stroke motorcycles, the first of which was developed during the 1920s. Designed by an Italian engineer, Giovanni Marcellino, this unusual engine used two pistons on a two-piece (master/slave) connecting rod, the cylinders sharing a common combustion chamber. The chief advantage of this arrangement was asymmetrical port timing, resulting in improved economy, steadier idling and greater torque at the expense of greater complication and weight. Four-stroke models were catalogued during the Thirties but after WW2 Puch built two-strokes only, the split-single range remaining in production well into the 1960s.

    The machine offered here is unusual in that its engine is mounted in the frame with the crankshaft inline (rather than transversely). This would make perfect sense if it was shaft driven yet final drive is via chain, which involves turning the drive through 90 degrees via a skew or bevel gear of some kind. Presumably, the added complication and slight power loss involved was set against the advantage that this arrangement conferred in terms of oil tightness, there being no leak-prone primary drive casing. Consisting of a pressed steel frame and blade-type girder fork, the cycle parts are typical of many European makes of the 1930s. Puch claimed a maximum output of 6PS (approximately 6bhp) at 4,000rpm for this model, 9,585 examples of which were made between 1937 and 1940.

    The machine was discovered in its present condition and is offered for restoration.

    £800 – 1,200

Saleroom notices

  • Please be aware of major changes to the description of this lot. The frame number for this lot should read 103540. The engine number for this lot should read 03540 .
Activities