1921 Wanderer V-twin Unrestored
Lot 10
1916 Wanderer 4hp V-Twin Frame no. 261522 Engine no. 15286
Sold for £18,975 (US$ 31,874) inc. premium
Lot Details
1916 Wanderer 4hp V-Twin
Frame no. 261522
Engine no. 15286
Oldest of the four companies that merged in 1932 to form the 'Auto Union' (the others being Audi, DKW and Horch) Wanderer was an established motorcycle manufacturer when it built its first automobile in 1911. 'Wanderer' was the brand name of Winkelhofer & Jaenicke, a bicycle-making firm founded in Chemnitz, Saxony around 1885 and, like those of many of its contemporaries, its first motorised two-wheeler of 1902 was merely a power-assisted cycle. By 1913 the range had expanded considerably and was topped by a 408cc v-twin. Distinguished by their wedge-shaped fuel tanks, these early Wanderer twins were of an advanced specification for their day, boasting bottom-link forks, sprung frames, two-speed hub gears, automatic lubrication and an internal expanding rear drum brake. A 184cc four-stroke lightweight was added to the range after The Great War. This boasted overhead valves and unitary construction of the horizontal engine/gearbox, and Wanderer continued to build a range of similarly advanced designs until the end of the 1920s when motorcycle production ceased, although a range of ultra-lightweights was produced during the 1930s. This original and un-restored Wanderer twin is offered with Swedish registration papers for the period 1925-1928.
Activities