ROLLS ROYCE PHANTOM III 1937,
Lot 31
1937 Rolls-Royce Phantom III Touring Limousine Chassis no. 3CP26 Engine no. J98S
€65,000 - 85,000
US$ 84,000 - 110,000

Lot Details
ROLLS ROYCE PHANTOM III 1937, ROLLS ROYCE PHANTOM III 1937, ROLLS ROYCE PHANTOM III 1937,
1937 Rolls-Royce Phantom III Touring Limousine
Coachwork by Barker & Co

Chassis no. 3CP26
Engine no. J98S
Perhaps the most outstanding luxury car of the 1930s - and certainly as far as the British motor industry was - was the Rolls-Royce Phantom III. Introduced in 1936, the 7,340cc V12-engined Phantom III succeeded the Phantom II, the six-cylinder engine of which was considered to be at the end of its development life. The choice of a V12 configuration was a logical one for Rolls-Royce, the company already having had considerable experience of manufacturing V12 aero engines such as that used in the record-breaking Supermarine S6B seaplane. No doubt another consideration was the need to match the multi-cylinder opposition, notably the V16 Cadillac and V12 Hispano-Suiza.
A state-of-the-art design employing advanced materials and techniques such as 'skeleton' cylinder blocks with wet liners and aluminium alloy cylinder heads, the PIII V12 produced 165bhp in its debut form. The maximum output was subsequently raised to 180 brake horsepower, which was sufficient to propel later examples to 100mph, earlier models being capable of around 90. Its engine configuration aside, the Phantom III represents an important milestone in the history of Rolls-Royce cars, being the first with independent front suspension. A total of 710 had been manufactured when WW2 halted production, of which around 300 exist worldwide today.
'3CP26' was supplied new on 2nd October 1937 to Madame la Duchesse de Talleyrand, 122 Avenue Malakoff, Paris, a member of one of France's most prominent aristocratic families. Erected on the standard wheelbase, the car was ordered with 'standard touring limousine' coachwork by Barker & Co, of London, one of the finest of all British coachbuilders and a firm associated with Rolls-Royce from the latter's earliest days. Old established coachbuilders, Barker had shown an example of their work to the Hon C S Rolls as early as 1905; so impressed was he that the firm was viewed as the 'official coachbuilder' to Rolls-Royce for the next 25 years.
Accompanying copy build sheets and chassis cards record that the Phantom was ordered with speedometer in kilometres, fuel gauge in litres, and provision for the fitting of Marchal headlamps and a rear bumper. Other noteworthy features listed include an internal division; electrically operated backlight blind; 8-day clock in the centre cabinet door; sunroof to the rear compartment; and Talleyrand-Périgord family crests in white on the rear door mouldings, which are still in place. The Phantom also retains its original registration plate '8361 RL 2' but has been re-registered as a collector's car.
'3CP26' has had only three owners from new and in 1992, while part of the collection of the 'Musée de la Colline et de l'Automobile', underwent restoration with particular attention being paid to the refurbishment of the body and brightwork. The current vendor purchased the car from the Musée in 2004 when its collection was dispersed. Finished in black with blue leather interior, this magnificent Phantom is described as in very good condition, running well, and comes with the aforementioned build details and French registration papers.

Très probablement, l'automobile la plus luxueuse des années 1930 fut la Rolls-Royce Phantom III – au moins pour ce qui concerne l'industrie automobile britannique. Introduite en 1936, la Phantom III à moteur V12 de 7 340 cm3 succédait à la Phantom II dont le moteur six cylindres en ligne était parvenu au maximum de son développement. Le choix d'une architecture à 12 cylindres en V sembla logique chez Rolls-Royce car la firme avait une expérience considérable dans la fabrication des moteurs V12 d'aviation comme celui qui avait équipé l'hydravion de course Supermarine S6B. Il est bien certain également qu'il fallait être à l'égal des autres modèles de luxe multicylindres comme la Cadillac V16 et l'Hispano-Suiza V12.
Moteur très moderne utilisant des matériaux et des solutions de pointe comme des blocs-cylindres « squelettes » à chemises humides et culasses en alliage léger, le V12 de la Phantom III délivrait 165 ch dans sa première définition. La puissance maximale fut ensuite portée à 180 ch au frein, valeur suffisant à propulser les derniers exemplaires à 160 km/h, les premiers roulant déjà à 145. Outre son moteur en V, la Phantom III représente une étape importante dans l'histoire de Rolls-Royce en tant que premier type de la marque équipé de roues avant indépendantes. Au total, 710 voitures (dont 300 ont survécu) furent construites jusqu'à ce que le déclenchement de la Seconde Guerre mondiale mît un terme à cette production.

« 3CP25 » fut livrée neuve le 2 octobre 1937 à Mme la Duchesse de Talleyrand, 122 avenue Malakoff à Paris, qui appartenait à l'une des plus éminentes familles de l'aristocratie française. Sur le châssis normal fut commandée une carrosserie de « standard touring limousine » confiée à Barker & Co de Londres, une des meilleures entreprises de carrosserie britanniques associée avec Rolls-Royce depuis les débuts de la marque. Carrossier de longue date, Barker avait montré dès 1905 un exemple de son travail à l'Hon. Charles Rolls qui fut impressionné par la qualité de l'exécution et la firme Barker fut considérée comme le « carrossier officiel » de Rolls-Royce pendant 25 ans.

Les fiches de fabrication et le descriptif du châssis fournis indiquent que cette Phantom fut commandée avec un compteur gradué en kilomètres, une jauge d'essence en litres et la possibilité de monter des projecteurs Marchal et un pare-chocs arrière. Parmi les autres détails d'importance, on notera la séparation intérieure, le rideau de lunette arrière à commande électrique, la montre « huit jours » au centre de la porte de l'armoire, le toit ouvrant au-dessus des places arrière et les armes des Talleyrand-Périgord en blanc sur les moulures des portes arrière (toujours présentes). La Phantom porte toujours son numéro d'origine « 8361 RL2 », mais elle a été réimmatriculée en collection.

« 3CP26 » n'a eu que trois propriétaires depuis sa sortie d'usine. En 1992, alors qu'elle faisait partie de la collection du « Musée de la Colline de l'Automobile », elle bénéficia de travaux de restauration portant notamment sur la carrosserie et l'ornementation. Le vendeur actuel l'acheta au Musée en 2004 lors de la dispersion de la collection. Peinte en noir avec intérieur en cuir bleu, cette magnifique Phantom, décrite comme étant « en très bon état », fonctionnant bien et comprenant les détails d'équipement et de finition précisés ci-dessus, est accompagnée de ses papiers d'immatriculation français.

Auction information

This sale is now finished. If you are interested in consigning in future sales, please contact the specialist department. If you have queries about lots purchased in this sale, please contact customer services.

Buyers' Obligations

ALL BIDDERS MUST AGREE THAT THEY HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD BONHAMS' CONDITIONS OF SALE AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THEM, AND AGREE TO PAY THE BUYER'S PREMIUM AND ANY OTHER CHARGES MENTIONED IN THE NOTICE TO BIDDERS. THIS AFFECTS THE BIDDERS LEGAL RIGHTS.

If you have any complaints or questions about the Conditions of Sale, please contact your nearest customer services team.

Buyers' Premium and Charges

For all Sales categories excluding Wine, Coins & Medals and Motor Cars and Motorcycles:

Buyer's Premium Rates
25% on the first €50,000 of the Hammer Price
20% from €50,001 to €1,000,000 the Hammer Price
12% on the excess over €1,000,000 of the Hammer Price

TVA at the current rate of 20% will be added to the Buyer's Premium and charges.

Shipping Notices

For information and estimates on domestic and international shipping as well as export licences please contact Bonhams Shipping Department.

Similar Items