1960 BSA 646cc A10
Registration no. WGV 300A
Frame no. GA7 6230
Engine no. DA10 9794
Introduced late in 1949, the BSA A10 650cc twin closely followed the basic pattern established by the 500cc A7 while contriving to be almost entirely different in detail. The cycle parts remained virtually unchanged, though the larger twin's 8" front brake was one obvious difference. Fitted at first only to export models, the 4.25-gallon fuel tank became available on the home market after one year, as did the striking metallic beige finish of the 'Golden Flash' version. By the end of the succeeding decade, BSA's rugged 650cc twin had undergone considerable development. On the cycle parts front, the introduction of a swinging-arm frame in 1954 had resulted in the original bolt-up gearbox's replacement by a conventional separate item, while the engine had benefited from numerous improvements including an increase in compression ratio for 1958 and the standardisation of the sports models' high-lift camshaft for 1959.
Restored in the late 1980s, this A10 was purchased by the current vendor at the Beaulieu Autojumble in 1992 and last taxed for the road in 1993, since when it has remained in dry storage. The machine benefits from a new carburettor (from Surrey Cycles), battery and primary chaincase gasket, and is described as in generally good condition. A Super Rocket alloy cylinder head and Super Rocket colour scheme are the only notified deviations from factory specification. Offered with Swansea V5.