1936 AJS 245cc Model 22
Registration no. CKP 684
Frame no. 2051
Engine no. 36/22 1702
Following the 1931 takeover of AJS by rivals Matchless, production was relocated from Wolverhampton to the latter's Woolwich factory and AJS's identity as a separate marque steadily eroded from then onwards as the machines became more like their Matchless counterparts. The Model 22 was one of two new AJS overhead-valve machines introduced for 1935 (the other being the 348cc Model 26) both of which featured a vertical cylinder, twin-port cylinder head and forward-mounted magneto. Enclosure of the valve gear had arrived by 1936 and a single-port 'head - standard on the competition version - became available later. Production continued until 1940.
This stylish twin-port Model 22 was purchased in 2008 by the current (fourth) owner from the previous (deceased) owner's son. The machine had been stored for a number of years and was in need of some 'TLC'. Since acquisition, the frame and forks have been repainted where required, the wheels rebuilt with stainless steel rims and spokes, the exhaust system re-chromed, the engine 'de-coked', the control cables renewed, and a new wiring loom and battery fitted. Described as in generally good condition, the machine is offered with sundry restoration invoices, old-style logbook and Swansea V5.