1957 BSA 148cc Bantam Major D3
Registration no. 731 UXF
Frame no. CO3-18685
Engine no. 3B/25007
Developed from the pre-war DKW RT125 and announced in 1948, the Bantam became a top-seller for BSA, in excess of half a million leaving the Birmingham factory before production ceased in 1971. Originally of 123cc, the engine grew first to 148cc - on the D3 Bantam Major, introduced for 1954 - and then to 172cc. Plunger rear suspension became an option in 1950, the next major changes to the cycle parts being the introduction of swinging-arm rear suspension and a sturdier telescopic front fork on the Bantam Major in 1956. This example of the swinging arm-suspended D3 Bantam Major has spent all its life in the Tanat Valley, Powys, transporting its owner to work until the early 1970s when a Bantam 175 replaced it. Original and unrestored, the machine displays a total of only 12,386 miles on the odometer and is offered with Swansea V5.
- Please be aware the registration number of this machine is 731 XUF and not 731 UXF as stated in the catalogue.