Willys Overland developed their prototype 'Quad' in 1940 and took their first military order just one year later with the Model MA. This was subsequently developed into the MB model and, along with Ford, Willys supplied some 626,000 or so Jeeps to the U.S. Government, including many for Lend-Lease. The Willys Jeep was powered by a side valve, four-cylinder engine of 134.2 cu. in., developing 54bhp at 3,600rpm. Drive was through a three forward/one reverse gearbox with a two-speed transfer box. The Jeep featured leaf suspension all round, hydraulic brakes and 6 volt electrics. In 1945 Willys announced the civilian model Universal Jeep, the CJ2A. The identifying features of the CJ2A included moving the petrol cap to the nearside from under the driver's seat, the spare wheel was moved to the side and the glove box had no lid. The CJ2A was later developed as the CJ3A and production continued until 1953.
This CJ2A, with a 2,199cc engine, has been the subject of a major restoration by its owner during the years 2007 to 2009. It retains most of its original coachwork although two new front wings have been fitted in the course of restoration. Chassis and coachwork were restored to as new condition, the engine and transmission rebuilt as necessary and electrics restored including fitting a new wiring loom. Unable to trace any previous history of the vehicle, the vendor chose to repaint it in Royal Air Force Refuelling Unit livery with fawn trim. Restored regardless of cost, this Jeep is presented ready to show or participate in road events/re-enactments for specialist armed services vehicles. It comes with a Swansea V5 registration document, invoices relating to restoration, current MoT certificate and road fund licence.