Introduced in September 1934 to replace the well-proven Minor, the new Morris 8 had a slightly longer stroke engine and a cylinder capacity of 918cc. The new model was offered in two and four door saloon versions and also in open tourer form both in two seater and four seater configurations. The model catered well for the first time car buyer, battling with Austin and Ford in this marketplace. The new car offered lively performance, 40mpg economy and had the luxury of synchromesh on second and top gears. Today the model is well catered for by the various Morris clubs and spares are relatively plentiful making this one of the most sought after and economical of pre-war light cars. Today's discerning buyer would perhaps compare performance with the contemporary and significantly more expensive MG Midget range.
This car was first registered on 9th April 1935 in Essex and was acquired for Jack Tattersall's collection in 2008. It is presented in black livery with tidy green upholstery and hood and side screens have been replaced in recent years. It is equipped with a MOWOG engine, those letters being cast into the block following the integration of William Morris's Wolseley and MG enterprises with Morris Motors Ltd. The car appears to be to original specification in all major respects although as a concession to road safety is fitted with flashing indicators. The car comes with a quantity of old MoT certificates, an old style green log book dating from 1971, a Morris Eight Operation Manual and a Swansea V5C registration document. This car has not seen recent active use and will require the usual careful recommissioning.