1924 Morris Commercial 8cwt Standard 'Snubnose' Van Registration no. UF 7502 Chassis no. 64337 (see below) Engine no. 74075
Morris introduced the first Light Van for the 1924 season, the bodies being constructed by Davidsons at Trafford Park, Manchester, and delivered in 'flat pack' form to Cowley where they were assembled and mounted on chassis. The chassis used was the Morris Cowley chassis which was later strengthened for commercial use in 1925. The 11.9hp Hotchkiss engine was adopted and early 1925 season commercials were fuelled by the Smiths five jet carburettor as per this example. The radiator of the early models was recognisably Morris although the Bullnose-style was squashed to form what has become known as the 'Snubnose' radiator. The 'Snubnose' had a greater cooling area than the Bullnose radiator, making it more suitable for heavier commercial use. For the 1924 season the 'Snubnose' Van was marketed at £198 in Standard form and for the 1925 season the price had fallen to just £180.
In 1973 this vehicle was owned by Peter J Seymour, author of the standard work on Morris Light Vans, 'The Development of 8 & 10cwt Morris Light Vans 1924 to 1934' what better ownership could it have, particularly as the Bullnose Morris Club Magazine of December 1990 records that this vehicle was originally supplied by his family firm. An old buff log book offered with the vehicle records that in 1941 it was registered in Essex as a motor plough a common fate for many hard used commercials and in war-time use this would qualify it for licence exemption and fuel allowances. In subsequent years it was restored to its original Light Van specification by Vicarys of Battle, meticulously using factory drawings to reinstate the van body. We understand that a replacement chassis from a Morris Cowley was used in the course of the restoration, the original perhaps having been shortened during this vehicle's use as a motor plough. This exceptionally rare 1924 Light Van, from a series produced between August and October 1924, is beautifully presented and liveried in the name of Vicarys of Battle. It appears to be presented to original specification in all major respects. Attractive period features include the Gabriel Snubbers, the Boyce Calormeter and decorative wings, the split two-piece windscreen and the Shell Motor Spirit 2 gallon can carried on the running board. The restorer has correctly resisted the urge to plate the lamps or their rims which are quite properly painted black.
This vehicle was acquired by Jack Tattersall in 2008 and was last taxed to April that year. It has been started and run on estate roads only since acquisition and, following a period of inactivity, will no doubt benefit from the usual careful recommissioning. It comes with a Swansea V5C document, old style buff log book, old MoT certificates and maintenance invoices and other related magazines, together with Peter Seymour's authoritative book.