Dutch company, Van Doorne's Automobielfabriek NV (DAF) began making trailers in the 1920s and turned to commercial vehicle manufacture in 1950. In 1958 the Eindhoven-based firm introduced its first car, the DAF 750, which was distinguished by its use of step-less 'Variomatic' automatic transmission. Automatic transmission was, of course, no novelty on large cars but the DAF system, which used a centrifugal clutch and V-belt drive to a limited-slip differential, was unusual in being applied to one having an engine of 590cc and with a mere 22bhp at its disposal. Nevertheless, with only a forward/reverse gearlever and no clutch pedal, the DAF 750 was one of the easiest cars to drive. Larger, more powerful models followed, all with the Variomatic transmission, which also found its way into a military 4x4 and a Formula 3 car. DAF was taken over by Volvo in the 1970s and its name disappeared from the marketplace soon after. Powered by the 746cc twin-cylinder engine producing 26bhp, this DAF 33 was in use up to 1996 when it was acquired by the Lakeland Motor Museum. On static display ever since, the car is in need of re-commissioning/restoration and is sold strictly as viewed (it should be noted that the handbrake cables are disconnected). Offered with Swansea V5 registration document. No reserve.
The registration number for this car is NWE667K. The V5 will follow post-sale.