Only 1,448 miles since restoration 1956 Jaguar XK140 Drophead Coupé Registration no. SXK 270 Chassis no. 807355 Engine no. G6778-8
Launched in 1954, the Jaguar XK140 was broadly similar to, though more refined than its sensational XK120 predecessor, major engineering changes being confined to the repositioning of the engine three inches further forward and the adoption of rack-and-pinion steering as used on the racing C-Type. The suspension and brakes remained much as before, though with stiffer torsion bars at the front and telescopic shock absorbers replacing the previous lever type at the rear. Like its XK120 forbear, the XK140 was built in three model types: roadster, coupé and drophead coupé, the latter two offering usefully increased cabin space and occasional rear seats. Outwardly the newcomer was distinguishable by its revised radiator grille, rear lights incorporating flashing indicators, and larger bumpers - the latter adopted to withstand the cut and thrust of urban parking. The power unit remained Jaguar's well-tried, 3.4-litre, twin-cam six, which now produced 190bhp in standard trim thanks to higher-lift camshafts and revised porting. To ensure reliability, steel bearing-caps replaced the previous cast-iron type. A close-ratio gearbox enabled better use to be made of the increased performance, and Laycock de Normanville overdrive became an option for the first time. Special Equipment XK140s came with wire wheels and Lucas fog lamps, and could be ordered with an engine developing 210bhp courtesy of the C-Type cylinder head. XK140 performance was well up to the standards set by its exemplary predecessor, contemporary magazine road-tests regularly recording top speed figures in excess of 120mph. Purchased by the current vendor in 1999, this XK140 drophead coupé previously belonged to a Goran Strok, of Weybridge Surrey who acquired the car in 1992, and before that to a Gareth John, of Chelmsford, Essex (1990). The car comes with Jaguar Cars Limited build details, confirming that it was sold new via Henlys and retains matching chassis/engine/gearbox and registration numbers. In addition, there are bills on file totalling in excess of £94,000 for a comprehensive restoration, which was carried out between 1990 and 1992 by the Fullbridge Carriage Company, of Maldon, Essex, home of the History of Jaguar Museum. Expired tax discs and MoTs dating back to 1992 record the mileage in 1999 as '146', indicating that the speedometer was replaced or the odometer zeroed during restoration. The reading currently stands at 1,448. A Moto-Lita steering wheel and vehicle tacking device are fitted to the car, which is offered with original Jaguar maintenance 'wallpaper'; an operating, maintenance and service handbook; MoT to February 2011; old/current Swansea V5/V5C documents; and the aforementioned bills, old tax discs and expired MoTs.