Aston Martin DBR2 Re-creation Registration no. PDA 177 Chassis no. LB290/76 Engine no. 400/4887/SVC
The Aston Martin DBR2 was the larger-engined version of the DBR1, arguably the most beautiful sports-racing car of all time, which not only won the World Sportscar Championship in 1959 but also the prestigious Le Mans 24-Hour Race (driven by Carroll Shelby and Roy Salvadori) that same year. Only five DBR1s were constructed, plus two DBR2s, and a veritable king's ransom would be required to purchase either version today. This DBR2 re-creation has been constructed using an all-aluminium body built over two years by ex-Newport Pagnell Aston Martin body makers and has been painted in Sage Green, one of the colours used by the factory race team during the 1950s. It has a fully rebuilt Aston Martin six-cylinder engine to DB4 GT specification, including a genuine new Aston Martin twin-plug cylinder head and twin distributors, with bespoke engineered drives and casings matching those of the original DBR2. The cam covers too match the originals with the 'AM' symbol cast into the front. Only six pairs of these covers were made in 1957, two of which were used on the two DBR2s and the others on pre-production DB4s. Only 300 miles have been covered since a full engine rebuild and it runs on regular unleaded fuel. The car is also fitted with a genuine David Brown DB4 GT gearbox and has a full stainless-steel exhaust system fabricated by Haywood and Scott to suit the GT-specification engine. Made using factory drawings, the special radiator incorporates combined water and oil cooling sections and is fitted with a filler cap to the original design. The fuel cap, boot and bonnet catches have been made from solid castings with a highly polished finish. Shod with genuine Dunlop racing tyres as used during the 1950s, the wheels are new 16" chromed wire items fitted with original Borrani spinners. The instruments are genuine full-faced Smiths as used in the original DBR2s. No speedometer was fitted originally so this car has a very discreet SPA digital speedo, which works well for road use but can be hidden for display purposes. The dashboard has been coated with the 'Cracked Green' reaction paint originally used on these cars, while the seats and rear cockpit panel are trimmed with the original type of fabric used by Aston Martin at that time. The steering wheel boss has been machined from a solid billet of aluminium (the same as the originals) and has a removable centre section featuring a genuine 'David Brown' enamel badge from the 1950s. The steering wheel itself is made from aircraft quality aluminium and the wooden rim is to the original design. Included in the sale, the new tonneau cover unzips into two sections allowing one to drive with the passenger side still covered. The car has the registration number 'PDA 177' and was first registered as an Aston Martin in 1955, so is exempt from road tax. A well-crafted DBR2 re-creation boasting a host of rare and desirable features, offered at a fraction of the cost of an original, it will be sold with a current MoT and licensed for the road.