'We do not suppose there are many cars whose names conjure up an aura of exotic glamour to the same extent as that of Maserati. Even now, many years after the company has withdrawn from any form of competition, past glories linger on.' - Sporting Motorist. Maserati's survival strategy for the 1960s centred on establishing the company - which hitherto had mainly concentrated on its Grand Prix and sports car racing activities - as a producer of road cars. The Modena marque's new era began in 1957 with the launch at the Geneva Salon of the Touring-bodied 3500GT. A luxury '2+2', the 3500GT drew heavily on Maserati's competition experience, employing a tubular chassis frame and an engine derived from the 350S sports car unit of 1956. Suspension was independent at the front by wishbones and coil springs, while at the back there was a conventional live axle/semi-elliptic arrangement. The 3500GT's designer was none other than Giulio Alfieri, creator of the immortal Tipo 60/61 'Birdcage' sports-racer and the man responsible for developing the 250F into a World Championship winner. The twin-overhead-camshaft, six-cylinder engine was a close relative of that used in the 250F and developed around 220bhp initially, later examples producing 235bhp on Lucas mechanical fuel injection. Built initially with drum brakes and four-speed transmission, the 3500GT was progressively updated, gaining five speeds, front disc brakes and, finally, all-disc braking. Last of these classic six-cylinder Maseratis, the Pietro Frua-styled Mistral commenced production in 1963. The 3.7-litre version of the Bolognese manufacturer's long-stroke engine was fitted to most cars, other options being the 3.5-litre or, from 1966, the 4.0-litre unit. A handsome two-seater on a shortened, square-tube chassis, the Mistral was built in coupé and spyder versions, the former's opening rear window hatch making it an unusually practical car. A five-speed gearbox, disc brakes and fuel injection were standard equipment; automatic transmission, air conditioning and a limited-slip differential the options. The extensive use of aluminium in its construction meant that the Mistral weighed less than it predecessors and was a superior performer, racing to 100mph in 19.6 seconds on its way to a top speed approaching 150mph. Production ceased in 1970, by which time a total of 828 coupés and 120 spyders had been built. Chassis '158', a rare right-hand drive 3.7-litre model with the desirable five-speed manual gearbox, was constructed in 1964 and has had four previous owners. The Mistral came into the current vendor's possession in 2007 having been in the immediately preceding ownership for 20 years. In 1992 the car was taken off the road and treated to an extensive restoration. Work carried out at this time included replacing the floorpan, sills and fuel lines; overhauling the engine, gearbox, rear axle and Lucas fuel injection system using original parts throughout; repainting the body in its original Azure metallic livery; and re-chroming the brightwork. A total of 50,000 miles is displayed on the odometer and the car is described as in generally very good/excellent condition. Offered for sale by a prominent Maserati collector, 'BYF 8B' comes with parts manual, brochure and instruction book (all original Maserati publications), original sales receipt, sundry restoration invoices, old/current Swansea V5/V5C documents and fresh MoT/tax.