1910 Clement Bayard Landaulet Type AC4C2, Chassis no. 12391
Lot 284
1910 Clement Bayard Landaulet Type AC4C2, Chassis no. 12391
Sold for €34,500 (US$ 44,028) inc. premium

Lot Details
1910 Clement Bayard Landaulet Type AC4C2, Chassis no. 12391 1910 Clement Bayard Landaulet Type AC4C2, Chassis no. 12391 1910 Clement Bayard Landaulet Type AC4C2, Chassis no. 12391 1910 Clement Bayard Landaulet Type AC4C2, Chassis no. 12391 1910 Clement Bayard Landaulet Type AC4C2, Chassis no. 12391 1910 Clement Bayard Landaulet Type AC4C2, Chassis no. 12391 1910 Clement Bayard Landaulet Type AC4C2, Chassis no. 12391 1910 Clement Bayard Landaulet Type AC4C2, Chassis no. 12391 1910 Clement Bayard Landaulet Type AC4C2, Chassis no. 12391
1910 Clement Bayard Landaulet Type AC4C2

Registration no. 1 PD 72
Chassis no. 12391
Moteur : 4 cylindres n° 1399 AC4C 2 - Alésage/course 80 x 120 mm 2411 cm3
Puissance fiscale 12 Cv

Adolphe Clément est né en 1855 à Pierrefond dans l'Oise. Orphelin tout jeune, son tuteur voulait qu'il soit épicier « métier qui nourrit bien son homme ». Après bien des embauches à Tours, Bordeaux et Lyon, à vingt trois ans il arrive à Paris et loue un atelier rue Brunel : à la tête de trois compagnons il commence à produire des cycles de sa propre marque. Dès lors Adolphe Clément ne connut que des brillantes réussites, qui lui permirent de se retirer à soixante ans dans une splendide ville de la Côte d'Azur, avec la rosette de la légion d'honneur et un bon paquet de millions.
C'est en 1897 qu'il produit dans ses locaux de la rue Brunel sa première voiturette : la Clément Gladiator. Puis en 1898 la Clément De Dion, car animée par un moteur De Dion Bouton, monocylindrique de 2,3/4 cv.

Après avoir travaillé chez Panhard à la suite du décès d'Emile Levassor, il perfectionne les carburateurs avec l'ingénieur Krebs. En 1903 Clément engage huit de ses voitures à la célèbre course ''Paris/Vienne'' dont la numéro 195 était pilotée par Marius Barbarou qui se classe 17eme à la moyenne de 49.87 km/h.

Mais Barbarou le quitte, et ses associés du consortium Clément-Gladiator-Humber l'obligent à cesser la fabrication d'automobiles Clément. A partir de là les vraies « Clément » que Adolphe produisait changèrent de nom et devinrent les Bayard-Clément, puis les Clément-Bayard, nom choisi en raison de la présence dans son Usine de Mézières d'une statue de ce fameux guerrier !

De la souche initiale naitront les deux branches anglaises, la Clément Talbot et la Clément Motor Co, qui n'avaient de rapport avec Adolphe Clément que le nom.

La voiture présentée sortie d'usine le 14 Décembre 1910 immatriculée en 1911 est donc une Clément Bayard. Elle est réputée provenir des Domaines ou des surplus alliés et a été vendue en 1964 à son actuel propriétaire par Henri Malatre, le fondateur du splendide Musée du Château de la Rochetaillée, près de Lyon. Son élégante carrosserie « Landaulet » type 4C n° 4713 est équipée de phares électriques Lucidus (ex acétylène) d'une lanterne arrière cubique Ducellier, d'une trompe avertisseur, les ressorts arrière a crosse lui assurent une suspension agréable, et l'allumage se fait par magnéto.
On trouve sur le côté droit une jante de secours équipée de son pneu, et sur le marche pied gauche un magnifique extincteur Chaubeyre.

Il y a tout lieu de qualifier cette voiture de ''grande routière'' qui possède sa carte d'identité FIVA, et a sillonné les routes de France et des pays voisins, aux mains du même propriétaire depuis 45 ans,
A citer entre autres, en 2005 sa participation à la commémoration à Clermont Ferrand du ''Centenaire de la Coupe Gordon Bennett'' de 1905.

Carte grise de collection


Engine : 4 cylinders No. 1399 AC4C 2 - Bore/stroke 80 x 120 mm 2411 cm3
Taxable horsepower : 12 Cv

Adolphe Clément was born in 1855 in Pierrefond in the Oise. An orphan at a young age, his guardian wanted him to be a grocer, "a profession to nourish the man". After several jobs in Tours, Bordeaux and Lyons, when he was twenty three he went to Paris and rented a workshop in Rue Brunel. Leading three companions, he started producing cycles under his own marque. Adolphe Clément was brilliantly successful as a result and this allowed him to retire at sixty years old in a lovely villa on the Côte d'Azur with the rosette of the Legion d'Honneur and a tidy sum of several million in his pocket.

In 1897, at his premises in Rue Brunel, he produced his first small car, the Clément Gladiator. Then, in 1898, the Clement De Dion, as it was powered by a De Dion Bouton engine, a single cylinder 2 ¾ bhp.

After working at Panhard following the death of Emile Levassor, he worked on carburettors with the engineer Krebs. In 1903, Clément entered eight of his cars in the celebrated Paris to Vienna race; No. 195 was driven by Marius Barbarou who finished in 17th position at an average speed of 49.87 km/h.

But Barbarou left him and his partners in the Clément-Gladiator-Humber consortium forced him to cease the manufacture of the Clément automobiles. Consequently, the real "Clément" produced by Adolphe changed name and became the Bayard-Clément, then the Clément-Bayard, a name chosen because of the presence in his Mézières Factory of a statue of that famous warrior!

Initially, there were two English branches, the Clément Talbot and the Clément Motor Company that had no connection with Adolphe other than the name.

The car presented that left the factory on 14 December 1910, registered in 1911, is therefore a Clément-Bayard. It is thought to come from the Allied domains or surplus and was sold in 1964 to its current owner by Henri Malatre, the founder of the great Rochetaillee Chateau Museum near Lyons. Its elegant Landaulet coachwork Type 4C No. 4713 is equipped with Lucidus (ex acetylene) electric headlights with a Ducellier rear lamp, a horn, rear cross springs that gave it pliant suspension, and magneto ignition.

On the right hand side is a spare wheel with its tyre, and on the left running board a wonderful Chaubeyre fire extinguisher.

There is every reason to describe this car as a grand tourer which has its F.I.V.A. identity card. It has travelled the length and breadth of France and neighbouring countries in the hands of the same owner for 45 years.

Among other things, in 2005 it took part in the commemoration in Clermont Ferrand of the Centenary of the Gordon Bennett Cup of 1905.

Collection vehicle registration document

Auction information

This sale is now finished. If you are interested in consigning in future sales, please contact the specialist department. If you have queries about lots purchased in this sale, please contact customer services.

Buyers' Obligations

ALL BIDDERS MUST AGREE THAT THEY HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD BONHAMS' CONDITIONS OF SALE AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THEM, AND AGREE TO PAY THE BUYER'S PREMIUM AND ANY OTHER CHARGES MENTIONED IN THE NOTICE TO BIDDERS. THIS AFFECTS THE BIDDERS LEGAL RIGHTS.

If you have any complaints or questions about the Conditions of Sale, please contact your nearest customer services team.

Buyers' Premium and Charges

For all Sales categories excluding Wine, Coins & Medals and Motor Cars and Motorcycles:

Buyer's Premium Rates
25% on the first €50,000 of the Hammer Price
20% from €50,001 to €1,000,000 the Hammer Price
12% on the excess over €1,000,000 of the Hammer Price

TVA at the current rate of 20% will be added to the Buyer's Premium and charges.

Shipping Notices

For information and estimates on domestic and international shipping as well as export licences please contact Bonhams Shipping Department.

Similar Items