Primée à Bagatelle 2002, Schweitzingen 2003, Paleis Het-Loo 2004,1961 Impérial Crown convertible "Shriner edition"  Chassis no. 9214102299
Lot 208
Primée à Bagatelle 2002, Schweitzingen 2003, Paleis Het-Loo 2004,1961 Impérial Crown convertible "Shriner edition" Chassis no. 9214102299
Sold for €74,750 (US$ 99,133) inc. premium
Lot Details
Primée à Bagatelle 2002, Schweitzingen 2003, Paleis Het-Loo 2004
1961 Impérial Crown convertible "Shriner edition"
Chassis no. 9214102299
C'est à Virgil M. Exner, alors sur le départ, que l'on doit le dessin initial de cette génération d'Impérial apparue en 1957. La mode des ailerons qui faisait rage de manière croissante depuis le milieu des années cinquante avait atteint son paroxysme général en 1959. Déjà les groupes Général-Motors et Ford-Motor-Company avaient sagement amorcé la décrue de ces appendices égocentriques. Dans un ultime sursaut d'honneur, Exner persista à doter les gammes constituant Chrysler-Corporation des carrosseries les plus démesurées et apocalyptiques de toute sa production. Bien mal lui en valu puisque la clientèle se détourna de ces vaisseaux baroques.

Marque de luxe et de prestige du groupe Chrysler, Impérial est l'égale de Cadillac pour GM et de Lincoln pour Ford. Cette génération d'Impérial est célèbre pour son style étonnant et pour sa batterie de phares avant détachés de la carrosserie et posés sur une plage avant indépendante, aux creux des ailes formant caverne. Si les millésimes 1959 et 60 arboraient un infernal faciès avec un pare-choc torturé et surdimensionné, l'année 1961 voit ce dernier retrouver un visage presque humain. Les stylistes se rattrapent sur le style arrière avec des ailerons audacieux, et un tableau de bord hérissé de commandes intersidérales, avec volant ovale et sièges avant pivotants.
Sous le capot, le classique moteur V8 Wedge de 413 cubic inches soit 6 769 cm3, fournit la cavalerie nécessaire pour déplacer aisément les 2,27 tonnes de l'engin. L'Impérial reste en 1961 la seule automobile du groupe Chrysler à conserver un châssis et ne pas avoir adopté la caisse monocoque. Avant-gardiste pour le marché américain, le groupe Chrysler avait déjà adopté la suspension avant par barres de torsion, mais conservait les ressorts à lames à l'arrière.
Longue de 5,77 m et large de 2,07 m, le modèle présenté est un convertible 5/6 places, à capotage électrique. La voiture est sortie de chaîne début octobre 1960.

Il s'agit d'une édition très limitée réalisée pour l'oeuvre caritative "Américan Shrine". Cette organisation privée américaine, implantée également au Mexique et au Canada, est l'équivalent de groupes comme le Rotary-Club ou le Lion's Club en Europe, et oeuvrait pour aider les enfants malades et défavorisés. Chaque année, de 1957 à 1968, les 23 directeurs fondateurs de l'association commandaient 23 exemplaires du modèle Impérial Crown convertible de l'année, mais avec une finition spécifique de haut luxe, par l'intermédiaire de F. M. Briley, directeur de la Briley-Motor-Company, concessionnaire local à Omaha, . La voiture fait donc partie d'un série de 23 exemplaires spécialement préparés, qui bénéficièrent d'une finition spécifique comprenant entre autre pour l'année 1961, hormis toutes les options et accessoires disponibles au catalogue, le coloris "Alaskan white" pour la carrosserie, un capotage blanc avec coutures roses, et un coloris rose saumon métallisé pour la finition intérieure en cuir avec coutures blanches.

Le lundi 03 octobre 1960, comme chaque année, chacun des 23 représentants locaux d'American Shrine vinrent à Détroit, au siège du groupe Chrysler, lors d'une convention, pour prendre possession de leur exemplaire respectif, avant de rallier le siège de l'organisation à Omaha, dans le Nebraska. Durant l'année, la caravane des 23 voitures parcourut tous les états composant les USA pour récolter des fonds destinés aux oeuvres caritatives de l'organisation. L'arrivée de la caravane d'American Shrine donnait lieu à de magistrales fêtes locales, avec barbecues géants, concerts de personnalités célèbres du show business, et rallyes automobiles. L'exceptionnelle exemplaire qui nous est confié est celui attribué au représentant d'Américan Shrine pour la région de Minneapolis. Ces rarissimes versions, dénommées familièrement "Imps of Omaha", sont extrêmement recherchées aux USA par les collectionneurs, tant pour leur rareté que pour leur finition.

Pendant 19 ans, la voiture fit partie de la collection d'Alvin Krenzien, qui possédait plusieurs autre "Imps of Omaha". Elle fut ensuite revendue à un collectionneur de New-York avant de finir chez un amateur de Floride. Acquise par son actuel propriétaire en 1998 dans l'Indiana lors d'une vente aux enchères, la voiture transita à travers l'Atlantique pour enfin arriver en France en mai de la même année. La voiture bien que complète et tournante réclamait de nombreux soins. Réputé pour ne jamais faire dans la demi-mesure, son actuel propriétaire, auteur de précédentes somptueuses restaurations, entrepris de la démonter intégralement, avant de vérifier, refaire ou changer chacune des pièces qui la constituent. Le châssis, et les trains roulants furent sablés, protégés par phosphatation, alumisation et peints par cataphorèse. Toute la mécanique fut refaite avec des pièces neuves d'origine Mopar et repeinte dans le coloris d'origine. Le capotage fut entièrement refaite et remplacé par des pièces d'origine. La carrosserie entièrement sablée et démontée fut inspecté sans complaisance et 50% des pièces furent remplacées par des éléments neufs formés à la main. Les garnitures des portes et des sièges furent intégralement refaites avec du cuir neuf de haut qualité, teinté spécialement dans le coloris spécifique rose saumon métallisé. Les chromes ont été intégralement refaits, et la face cachée des chromes est peinte.
La voiture est équipée d'origine de la direction assistée, du freinage assisté, des sièges avant électriques, des vitres électriques, du régulateur de vitesse "Autopilot", du système d'air conditionné "Airtemp", du passage code-phare automatique, de rétroviseurs "Miror-matic" à intensité variable et réglage électrique intérieur, d'une radio "Golden Touch" avec antenne électrique, et de pneus à flancs blancs. En outre, la voiture est équipée d'accessoires d'époque tel que le lecteur de disque 45 tours de marque RCA, et la lampe baladeuse Général Electric.

La restauration débutée en février 1999 fut enfin terminée au printemps 2002. Elle coûta plusieurs fois la valeur du véhicule. Terminée à temps pour être présentée au Concours d'Elégance de Bagatelle, à Paris, elle y remporta le Grand Prix de l'audace, début d'une somme impressionnante de prix et de coupes dans la plupart des grands concours d'élégance et les concours d'état européens.

Mais le mot de la fin revient à la publicité radiophonique diffusée à l'époque sur le sondes américaines "Au début, il n'y avait que de l'herbe, puis l'homme inventa la roue, mais tout commença avec l'Impérial 1961..."



It is to Virgil M. Exner, then on his way out, that we owe the original design of this generation of Imperials which appeared in 1957. The fashion for fins which had been all the rage in a crossing pattern, since the mid nineteen fifties, had reached its overall height in 1959. The General-Motors and Ford-Motor-Company groups had wisely begun the decline in these egocentric appendages. In his last honourable deed, Exner persisted in giving the Chrysler-Corporation's ranges the most excessive, apocalyptic bodies of his entire production. This was worth very little to him because customers turned away from these baroque vessels.

A luxury and prestigious brand in the Chrysler group, Imperial is equal to Cadillac for GM and Lincoln for Ford. This generation of Imperials is famous for its surprising style and for its array of freestanding front headlights on stalks, within pocketed wings. If the manufacturing years of 1959 and 1960 sported a diabolical look with a distorted and oversized bumper, the year 1961 saw the latter find an almost human face. The stylists redeemed themselves by the earlier style with audacious fins, and a dashboard dotted with interstellar commands, with an oval steering wheel and swivelling seats.
Under the bonnet the classic V8 Wedge engine of 413 cubic inches, or 6 769 cm3, provided the horsepower required to easily move the 2.27 tonnes of vehicle. In 1961 the Imperial was the only car in the Chrysler group to maintain a chassis and not adopt a monohull shell. Avant-garde for the American market, the Chrysler Group had already adopted front suspension with torsion bars, but retained the leaf springs at the rear.
5.77m long and 2.07m wide, the model offered is a 5-6 seater convertible, with electric roof. The car was produced at the beginning of October 1960.

It is a very limited edition produced for the charitable organisation "American Shrine". This private American organisation, also established in Mexico and Canada, is the equivalent of groups such as the Rotary Club or the Lion's Club in Europe, and worked to help ill and underprivileged children. Every year, from 1957 to 1968, the 23 directors who founded the association commissioned 23 editions of the Imperial Crown convertible model from that year, but with a specific luxury finish, through the agent F. M. Briley, director of Briley-Motor-Company, a regional dealer in Omaha. The car was therefore part of a series of 23 specially made editions, which benefitted from a specific finish, including amongst other things for the year 1961, aside from all the options and accessories available in the catalogue, the colour "Alaskan white" for the body, a white roof with pink seams, and a metallic salmon pink finish for the interior in leather with white seams.

On Monday 3 October 1960, like every year, each of the 23 local representatives of American Shrine went to Detroit, to the headquarters of the Chrysler Group, for a convention, to take possession of their respective edition, before going on to the organisation's headquarters in Omaha, Nebraska. During the year, the fleet of 23 cars went through all the states making up the USA to collect funds intended for the charitable works of the organisation. The arrival of the American Shrine fleet started off tremendous local festivities, with huge barbecues, concerts by famous people from the world of show business, and car rallies. The exceptional edition which has been entrusted to us was given to the American Shrine representative for Minneapolis. These extremely rare versions, commonly known as "Imps of Omaha", are highly sought after by collectors in the USA, both for their rarity and for their finish.

For 19 years, the car was part of the collection belonging to Alvin Krenzien, who owned several other "Imps of Omaha". It was then sold on to a collector in New York before ending up with an amateur in Florida. Purchased by its current owner in 1998 in Indiana at an auction, the car crossed the Atlantic to arrive in France in May of the same year. The car, although complete and running, needed some care. Renowned for not doing things by halves, its current owner, who had carried out several previous sumptuous restorations, undertook to completely take it apart, before checking, redoing or changing each of its component parts. The chassis and the running gear were sanded, protected by phosphatising, alumising and cathodic painting. The whole machine was redone with new pieces from Mopar and repainted in the original colours. The roof was completely redone and replaced with original pieces. The body, completely sanded and disassembled, was objectively inspected and 50% of the parts were replaced by new items made by hand. The upholstery for the doors and seats was completely redone with new high quality leather, specially dyed in that particular shade of metallic salmon pink. The chrome was completely redone, and the hidden face of the chrome was painted.
The car was originally equipped with power steering, assisted braking, electric front seats, electric windows, "Autopilot" cruise control, "Airtemp" air conditioning system, automatic beam control, "Miror-matic" rear view mirrors with variable current and interior electric adjustment, a "Golden Touch" radio with electric aerial, and tyres with white sides. The car is also equipped with accessories from the time, such as the RCA 45 record player and the General Electric portable lamp.

The restoration which began in February 1999 was finally finished in the spring of 2002. It cost several times the value of the vehicle. Completed in time to be presented at the Bagatelle Concours d'Elégance in Paris, it won "le Grand Prix de l'Audace" there, the start of an impressive number of prizes and cups, mostly in significant concours d'élégance and European concours d'état.

But the final word should go to the radio advert broadcast at the time on the American airwaves: "In the beginning there was only grass, then man invented the wheel, but everything began with the 1961 Imperial ..."

Auction information

This sale is now finished. If you are interested in consigning in future sales, please contact the specialist department. If you have queries about lots purchased in this sale, please contact customer services.

Buyers' Obligations

ALL BIDDERS MUST AGREE THAT THEY HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD BONHAMS' CONDITIONS OF SALE AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THEM, AND AGREE TO PAY THE BUYER'S PREMIUM AND ANY OTHER CHARGES MENTIONED IN THE NOTICE TO BIDDERS. THIS AFFECTS THE BIDDERS LEGAL RIGHTS.

If you have any complaints or questions about the Conditions of Sale, please contact your nearest customer services team.

Buyers' Premium and Charges

For all Sales categories excluding Wine, Coins & Medals and Motor Cars and Motorcycles:

Buyer's Premium Rates
25% on the first €50,000 of the Hammer Price
20% from €50,001 to €1,000,000 the Hammer Price
12% on the excess over €1,000,000 of the Hammer Price

TVA at the current rate of 20% will be added to the Buyer's Premium and charges.

Shipping Notices

For information and estimates on domestic and international shipping as well as export licences please contact Bonhams Shipping Department.