Lots 870 - 897: Select Property removed from The Old Hall, High St. Agnesgate, Ripon
Built on the site of the houses of the medieval Prebends of Ripon Cathedral, and standing in its enclave, The Old Hall dates from the 17th Century with later early 18th Century additions, and fine plasterwork undertaken by Guiseppe Cortese (fl. 1725 - 1778), a leading Italian stuccoist based at York, whose work survives at other houses, such as Sutton Park and Burton Constable Hall, in the north of England. A plaque erected by Ripon Civic Society records that the house served as a Canon's residence from 1841 to 1858, during which period it played host to Reverend Charles Dodgson, better known as Lewis Carroll, who stayed at the house, and wrote there, for several weeks each year.
A George III and later mahogany pedestal table
The circular swivel-action top with moulded edge raised on a birdcage-action above a ring and vase-turned shaft and three downswept supports terminating in pad feet, 81cm diameter x 70cm high