GWR nameplate The South Wales Borderers ex-Castle class 4037
(Ex-loco condition, except for polishing of the letters). 66" (168cm) wide
Locomotive 4037 was originally built in December 1910 as GWR Star Class "Queen Philippa". This loco was re-built as a Castle Class locomotive in June 1926. At this time it retained both its original number and name. It was re-named "The South Wales Borderers" at a ceremony in Paddington Station in April 1937 following a request from the Regiment.
4037 was withdrawn in September 1962 after nearly 52 years service. During this period it covered over 2.4 Million miles almost certainly a record for a British steam locomotive. Shed allocations include Wolverhampton Stafford Road, Old Oak Common, Newton Abbott and Exeter (its last shed). The loco was scrapped at Cashmore's in Newport in December 1962.
This is a rare opportunity to purchase a GWR two line nameplate.