The single, thick plank top raised on 19th century A-frame trestle supports, 255cm long x 67cm wide x 8cm high (76cm high with A-frame supports)
Provenance: Removed from Prinknash Abbey, Cranham, Gloucestershire
For nearly nine hundred years the land known as Prinknash has been associated with Benedictine monks. In 1096 the Giffard family, who had come to England with William the Conqueror, made a gift of the land to Serlo, Abbot of St. Peter's, Gloucester. In 1339 the Bishop of Worcester granted a licence 'for the Abbot of Gloucester and his fellow monks to celebrate Mass or to have it celebrated by a suitable chaplain in an oratory within their manor of Princkenasch'. A large part of the present building was constructed during the abbacy of William Parker, last Abbot of Gloucester, around the year 1520, and in July 1535 it is possible that the buildings played host to Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn during their summer progress. The Abbey was surrendered to the Crown during the Dissolution of the Monasteries in January 1540 and was held in private ownership by Gloucestershire gentry until 1928 when the last private owner transferred it to the ownership of the Benedictine monks of Caldey. In 1972 they moved to a new building and the old abbey buildings were converted into a conference centre and retreat.
For a discussion of the medieval trestle table see Victor Chinnery, Oak Furniture: The British Tradition (1979), pp. 283 - 287 where he notes, 'throughout the Middle Ages, trestles supporting a board were almost the only form of long dining table available' and that, generally speaking, trestles were the most common form of support prior to 1550, when a joined frame was more usual. See Diagram 3:3, p. 284.