An Historic Grenadier Officer's Embroidered Mitre Cap C.1750, As Worn By A Member Of H.R.H. Prince George William Frederick's (later GIIIR) 'Boy' Regiment
The cap has a red cloth face and is embroidered in predominantly silver lace with coronet of a Royal Prince over a double 'G' cypher (this with further decoration) and at the base the white horse of Hanover. Leaf sprays to the sides and a small star at the top. The reverse of blue cloth piped with silver lace, red cloth on the lower reverse bears the remains of an embroidered fused grenade and other scrolling decoration. The top of the reverse carries a bound white wool tuft, the front is stiffened with stout card and split cane, the reverse with whale bone strips. It is 26cm in height and a bottom width of 22.5cm. The cap has been contained in a glazed frame since at least 1939, and probably since 1872. The outer backing board is inscribed in long hand as follows: "Arthur John Landon this 1st day of July 1872 informed Edward Palmer Landon that the Reverend Charles Richard Landon - the father of the informant told him that this cap was worn by James Landon of Cheshunt, the father of Charles Richard Landon, when he was serving in the Boy Regiment which was formed for the amusement of King George the Third when (..?..) a Boy. Ed. P. Landon, Great Grandson of James Landon.