A Victorian enamel and half pearl pendant
Lot 195
A Victorian enamel and half pearl pendant
Sold for £600 (US$ 1,008) inc. premium
Auction Details
Jewellery Oxford
23 Mar 2010 11:00 GMT

Auction 18062
Lot Details
Jewellery.
A Victorian enamel and half pearl pendant
The circular pendant centred with a glazed portrait miniature Princess Alexis Dolgorouki, wearing a veil and white wedding dress, to a surround of turquoise blue enamel and half pearls, verso centred with a glazed portrait miniature of Prince Alexis, surrounded by inscription reading 'Evelyn Fleetwood Head, From Prince & Princess Alexis Dolgorouki', suspended on enamel and half pearl set bale, in fitted case signed 'Carrington & Co', pendant diameter 2.6cm.

Footnotes

  • The pendant is offered for sale by the family of the original recipient, Evelyn Fleetwood Head. The pendant, by family repute, was given as a gift from the Prince and Princess Alexis of Dolgorouki.

    Frances Fleetwood Wilson (1850-1919) was an English heiress, only daughter of the rich industrialist Fleetwood Pellew Wilson of Wappenham Manor in Northamptonshire. She married the exiled Russian nobleman Prince Alexis Dolgorouki (1846-1915) in 1898. Prince Alexis, a Chamberlain to the Tsar of Russia, came from a distinguished noble family in the direct line of descent from Dolgoroui of Suzdal, the founder of Moscow in 1129. The couple married in their 50s, and lived at Nashdom House, Burnham, built for them by Sir Edwin Lutyens.

    See illustration.
Activities
Similar items