1933 BMW 398cc R4
Frame no. P85188
Engine no. 81992
Introduced in 1932 and itended to bridge the gap between the 'budget' R2 198cc single and the expensive twins, the 398cc R4 looked much like the former, whose channel-section steel frame and running gear it used almost unaltered. The overhead-valve engine featured enclosed valve gear and produced 12bhp, gaining an extra two horsepower in 1933 when the R4 was updated to Series 2 specification with revised styling and a four-speed gearbox. A new cylinder head, tidier engine casings and changes to the toolbox and generator locations were introduced as the rugged R4 - a favourite with police forces and the German Army - progressed through to Series 5 before production ceased in 1936. This R4 was delivered new to Visé, Aachen in June 1933. Unrestored, the machine was bought by Willy Neutkens in 1989 and comes with Netherlands registration papers.
Diese R4 wurde als Neufahrzeug im Juni 1933 an Firma Visé in Aachen ausgeliefert. Die unrestaurierte Maschine wurde erstmals 1956 in den Niederlanden zugelassen und im Jahre 1989 von Willy Neutkens erworben. Niederländische Fahrzeugpapiere liegen vor.