A C B Harness Electropathic Belts apparatus,  English,  late 19th century,
Lot 84
A C B Harness Electropathic Belts apparatus, English, late 19th century,
Sold for £840 (US$ 1,411) inc. premium
Lot Details
A C B Harness Electropathic Belts apparatus, English, late 19th century,
complete with three material belts inset with electric conductors, in mahogany case with a W H Hanse electrostatic induction coil with brass terminals and on mahogany base, together with another induction coil a coloured lithographic advertisement for Harness' Belts and a reproduction broadsheet

Footnotes

  • The Electropathic and Zander Institute, founded by Cornelius Bennett Harness in 1885, offered electricity based therapies and was based at 52 Oxford Street, London.
    Harness' Electropathic Belts were supposed to generate 'new life and vigor ... for weak men, for delicate women' as well as cure 'nervousness, debility, sleeplessness, rheumatism, sciatica, lumbago, torpid liver, organic weakness and kindred ailments' but actually produced no sensation whatsoever (despite testimonies from Dr Herbert Tibbits and Dr Arthur Harries on the reverse). They were supposed to be charged by being plugged into a device incorporating a magnet. A combination of disreputable retail practices and the fact that their electropathic belts did not work, increasingly embroiled the Company in litigation until a compulsory winding-up order was handed to them in 1894.
Activities