England, 1st quarter of 19th Century 40 ft x 25ft (1220 x 770 cm) some damage
IMPORTANT NOTICE: PLEASE NOTE THIS LOT WILL BE AVAILABLE TO VIEW IN BONHAMS WAREHOUSE, 2 RELAY ROAD, LONDON, W12 7SJ, STRICTLY BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. PLEASE CONTACT MARK DANCE TO MAKE AN APPPOINTMENT.
Provenance: Late 19th Century to 1999: The Bishop's Palace, Wells, Somerset. The carpet was brought to Wells between 1867 and 1894 by Bishop (Lord Arthur) Hervey and came, by repute, from Windsor Castle where Bishop Hervey's brother was curator.
Thomas Whitty's carpet factory, established in the mid 1750's, was noted for its naturalistic depiction of floral design, influenced by the European Aubusson and Savonnerie weavings. The Axminster Carpet Factory enjoyed extensive Royal patronage, with both George III and George IV commissioning carpets for various Royal residences. A serious fire in 1828 led to the demise of the factory, which finally closed in 1835, with the remaining looms and many weavers moving to Wilton.