by Howard & Sons the overscolled divided back and arms above a double cushion seat on turned walnut legs, lacking castors, stamped to one leg, '1680 6777, HOWARD & SONS LTD, BERNERS STREET'
Provenance: Purchased by the vendors from Sir Martin Wilson Bt., Littlebourne Lodge, Sandgate, Kent.
The series of eight stamped numerals to the reverse is typical of a Howard and Sons serial number and appears stamped into the back legs of many chairs and sofas produced by the firm. See Bonhams London, 11 March 2009, lot 119.
John Howard originally established his firm at 24 Lemon Street in 1820. By 1854 he was established in the heart of the West End at 22 and 36 Berners Street. The firm grew to become one of the most fashionable and successful of the 19th century, participating in many of the International Exhibitions for the remainder of the century. They employed their eclectic styles working for many important clients providing furniture for important houses such as Sudbury Hall in Derbyshire, Elton Hall, Huntingdonshire and Stokesay Court, Shropshire. Still fashionable at the close of the century, in 1893 they provided the fittings for Mr Vanderbilt's yacht.