An important and rare set of twelve George III Australian red cedar collector's cabinets
each enclosed by a pair of doors veneered in finely figured timber and with cut corner bandings in Australian rosewood within narrow ebony stringing, the spandrels inlaid with star motifs in ebony and lightwood, each interior fitted with five glass-top specimen drawers with numerical index stamps, lacquered brass D-handles and apparently contemporary index card frames,the doors locking top and bottom with a single full length lock, the cabinets now mounted in pairs in six cedar cases above a matching pair of cabinets enclosing shelves, the whole flanked by reeded canted corners, the Banks cabinets with paper label to top, 'Geological Department', one door replaced, 57cm wide, 40cm deep, 57cm high (22" wide, 15.5" deep, 22" high). the cabinets overall: 129cm wide x 45cm deep x 134cm high (50.75" wide, 17.75" deep, 52.75" high). (12)
- Please note:
Subsequent to the preparation of the catalogue we have commissioned a microscopic analysis of the timbers used in the construction of these cabinets.
This contradicts the original identification by J.H. Malden, Director of the Botanic Gardens and Herbarium,Sydney in 1914.
The timbers used in the construction have been identified as mahogany (Swietenia sp.) for the carcasework and flame veneered fronts together with gonzalo alves (Astronia sp.) for the crossbanding.
A copy of this report dated 31st May 2010 by Know your wood,Victoria,Australia is available on request.