Cut Flower, 2002 signed, titled and dated 'Henry T. Hopkins 2002' (on artist's label on the reverse) gouache, watercolor and pencil on paper 14 1/4 x 10 1/4in
Provenance: Estate of Henry Hopkins, Los Angeles, California
Note: Henry Hopkins was a distinguished museum director who had a lifetime involvement in the arts. He received his MFA from The Art Institute of Chicago in 1955. After serving as a photographer in the US Army, he went to graduate school at UCLA and taught at UCLA Extension from 1959-1968. In 1960 he opened the Huysman Gallery in Los Angeles before becoming an Assistant Curator at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art the following year. From 1969-1974, he was the Director of the Fort Worth Art Center Museum and served as the Director of the San Francisco Museum of Art from 1974-1986 (he added "Modern" to the name). He moved back to Los Angeles in 1986 to head the Frederick Weisman Foundation and joined the Department of Art at UCLA in 1991. Hopkins painted and drew throughout his life.