Built in the heart of American motor land, Detroit, Michigan, the EMF was so named after the three founders of the company, Barney Everitt, William Metzger and Walter Flanders their initials together giving EMF. All were experienced in the motor industry, Everitt as a coachbuilder, Metzger as a salesman at Cadillac and Flanders who had been production manager with Henry Ford. The first EMF appeared in 1908, at about the same time as Fords Model T made its debut, and these two manufacturers were clearly aiming for the same market EMF perhaps slightly up-market from Ford. The first car was a 30hp as were all subsequent models and drove through a three-speed, sliding gear transmission in the rear axle. Production of this model peaked at 15,300 units in 1910 but a major fall-out between the three partners saw this independent marque absorbed into Studebaker in 1912, subsequent models being marketed under that banner.
This right-hand drive car was imported into the U.K. in the 1990s and, all importantly, the gearbox/transaxle have been fully overhauled with new parts manufactured and fitted as required. It has been the subject of cosmetic restoration and is smartly liveried in blue, with varnished wooden wheels, cream chassis detail and especially notable is the excellent deep-buttoned black leather upholstery. Fittings throughout are nickel-plated and driving equipment includes Rushmore Searchlight headlamps, (converted to electrics), matching Reflecta rear-view mirrors and a Standard Friction Wind Shield, manufactured by The Eagle Co., Newark, New Jersey. The car has been driven briefly during the present ownership and reportedly went well. Following restoration, the usual recommissioning and setting up will be required, the car having covered limited mileage. It comes with a set of suitable hood hoops to enable a hood to be completed. This powerful and practical Edwardian comes also with old style V5 and V5C documents and MoT certificates from 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2007.