Jack Pick established a reputation as a bicycle manufacturer in Stamford, Lincolnshire, before commencing motor car production at the turn of the century. Early Picks were De Dion-powered and it seems that later engines were bought from Allard & Co. of Coventry, before Pick manufactured their own engines. Lincolnshire-built cars are as rare as hens teeth, the other marque of note being the Rose National built at nearby Gainsborough. Only one other Pick is believed to survive, a 1912 20hp Doctors Coupé, that particular car and this car having both spent much of their lives in their county of origin.
This 1901 car is believed to be the oldest surviving Pick and research indicates that it may be the prototype car exhibited at The Cordingley Show at the Royal Agricultural Hall, Islington in May 1901. It features a forward mounted, vertical, single cylinder engine, believed to be manufactured by Allard and very similar to the engines fitted to the contemporary International Charette. The engine is water-cooled with an automatic inlet valve and mechanical, overhead exhaust valve. The car has two forward speeds and drives by belt and double chain to the rear axle.
It is believed that the car remained in Stamford most of its early life and before rescue for preservation its engine was used to drive a lathe. It was discovered in 1949 in a Stamford shed and bought by George Wingate for £7-10s-0d. At that stage the car had been partly restored and it took part in the Brighton Run that year. It passed through the hands of a number of enthusiasts including Ted Steeper of Broughton, Lincolnshire, the late Nick Lord who was attracted to this car as a boy during Steepers ownership, and VCC stalwart Rory Sinclair. During these various ownerships the car has been regularly campaigned on the London to Brighton Veteran Car Run and has been a consistent finisher. During the present ownership the car was campaigned successfully on the Brighton Road by VCC Past President Rodney Fowler and we note that the car was last taxed for road use in 2004. During Sinclairs ownership a careful restoration was carried out, returning the car as closely as possible to the condition it was in when Jack Pick road tested it up Blackfriars Street in Stamford in 1901.
The car is handsomely presented in yellow livery with black and white coachlining and furnished with black-buttoned leather upholstery. Original Pick Motors transfers have been carefully preserved on the body side panels.
The coachwork styling and design lends itself perhaps to dos-a-dos seating for two light passengers at the rear, the back panel folding down to provide a suitable foot rest. This rare veteran has been in the Ward Brothers collection since 2001 and was in full running order when last used, but will require the usual careful recommissioning following a period of museum display. It comes with a VCC Dating Certificate No.328, a Swansea registration document and a quite superb and well researched history file.